Locked out of NEF from DVD's

kenneth_smith7

<p>Hi, I just made a hundred DVD+R's of my NEF files, and then discovered I had no editing abilities when I replayed the DVD's. There is a lock at the bottom of the thumbnails, and no ability to use any sliders. I'm viewing from NX-i. Wow.<br>

I seem to remember checking this early on, and finding things to be OK, but now I wonder what I did.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Once you burn a file to optical storage, it's read-only. That's why optical storage like that is for archiving, not for editing. It's a backup. If you want to edit those files, just copy the one you're interested in from the optical media back over to a working folder on your normal computer drive/storage, and edit it from there. Obviously the one that's already been burned to the optical disk will remain unchanged.<br /><br />Regardless, be sure that the files you have on those DVDs are NOT your only copies. Always back up to at least three devices/places, and keep at least some of that material off-site in a different location.</p>

<p>Thanks. I thought the DVD could not be edited but the information once displayed by View or any editor could be edited, but I see my mistake, as I'm viewing only what is on the disk. So then, can I copy NEF and still get another NEF, or do I have to settle for TIFF at this point?<br>

As for other back-ups/archives, I am doubling up on hard drives,(which don't last, but avail NEF editing ) and two sets of DVD's, then will put them in Glacier, or something, on-line. It seems that if the hard drives fail, I'm no longer able to access NEF's again. Strange deal this digital. Maybe I'll go back to film after all.</p>

<p>Your NEF's are still available. If you copy a NEF off of the DVD you can edit it like any other NEF file. Consider the DVD to be a backup medium that you put away until you need to copy a file back to your hard drive.</p>

<p>If you copy a .nef files to a CD or DVD, you are able to read that content, place it somewhere and edit it from there - as by Matt and Bob. (edited)<br /> You just copy the .nef you want to edit to an another media or location in your hd. No need to go to tiff.</p>

<p>A thing to note. If you have done some edits with View NX-i the edits are in another, side folder, relative to the original image folder. So you might want to bacup the edits together with your images, to avoid losing the editing done. Tiffs I backup when I have done some post prosessing work with them, which is not so often.<br /> Actually when initilizing the DVD, you may be able (depends on ) to define weather your DVD is a read only or read/write capable. For strict backup use a read only may be preferred. In any case you are able to access .nef files in the DVD if you put them there. If your hd goes off, you still have the CD/DVD backups to go - with an another PC.</p>