Hasselblad A12 frame spacing problem ... help!

nobu_wataya

Dear members:

I just purchased a used A12 off the auction site. All is fine

except the first frame and the second frame always touch each

other. Otherwise, all subsequent frames are properly spaced.

I will probably send it in for maintenance, but would really

appreciate anyone explaining why this particular problem seems to

occur. As I said, only the 1st and 2nd frame touch, all others are

spaced correctly.

Anyone with any ideas for a do-it-yourself remedy?

Many thanks in advance.

Nobu

Thanks for all the great advice so far.

I believe I have been winding it on correctly, as this does not happen with any of my other three A12 backs. Thus, I suspect it is something with this particular back itself.

So far, I've run 3 test rolls ... all with the same result, 1st and 2nd frame touching, the rest properly spaced. I also used a control A12 back on the same 500CM and that one came out just perfect. Odd ...

I've had a new one do that on me 3 or 4 times in about a 100 roles of film. Still don't know what that is? I will probably get it serviced since is it's also a bit wobbly and still under warrenty. Although I do think that my spacing problems are due to bad loading or something, although I don't really see what one can do wrong other then reverse loading. Good luck with yours.

The problem here is most certainly a problem with the counter disk being out of adjustment. The white flag should show up at exactly, or 1-2 mm film travel before, the same moment as the wind lever stopping. The magazine must be inserted and locked of course.

All frame spacing except the stop point for the first frame (assuming everything is working correctly) is determined by the counter wheel. The counter wheel stops the film from going farther than it should. The first frame stopping point is determined by the wind lever. If the counter wheel attempts to stop the film at the first frame before the wind lever does (which it is unable to do), the film will go farther than it's supposed to. This is what causes the overlap.

Unfortunately this is not a do-it-yourself job. Get the counter adjusted so the white flag corresponds with the wind lever stopping and your overlap will go away. Should probably be serviced as well while it's apart.

Good Luck-

Peter - PR Camera Repair / 111 E. Aspen #1, Flagstaff, AZ 928 779-5263