JOSHUA ALLEN HARRIS - digital darkroom

<p>Hello friends ... I want to congratulate you for all the comments, you learn a lot in this forum.<br />Let's see if I can give a clue. Please visit the site of Joshua Allen Harris: http://joshuaallenharris.com/test-grid<br />What is the secret in the revealed?<br /> what levels should use in photoshop to get those colors? check the yellow.<br /> curves? Levels? How do I get the perfect target?<br />Thanks!</p>

<p>Hi Nicolàs,<br /> I'm not sure I follow what you are seeing. The tones are fine but just that. The facial tones in some of the pictures, especially portraits, look very natural, which can be in part due to camera software (if jpeg) and part by using white balance or very slight hue correction in post process. Otherwise, the balance of shadows, mid tones and highlights is what is normally achieved, nothing more, and obtained during capture or slight Photoshop balancing. Some of the images are not so well exposed (question of subjectively decided priorities when working with reduced dynamic range) and others have very poor resolution, probably as he has uploaded low resolution files. You should be able to obtain similar good results of his best images using normal practice and checking white balance in your camera before exposure (or manually setting it).</p>

<p>Workflow is something you accomplish. Everyone's is different and unless you ask him, you'll never really know. We'd just be guessing. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. You can achieve the same thing in various ways using Photoshop's tools, but to specifically tell you what he did for his photos is something that can only be answered by the photographer. There is no "secret" it's just practice and experimentation to find your own style and voice.</p>

<p>I think he shoots film too. But whatever he shoots, and whatever else he does in his post, I would guess that he does pull down the reds. If you look through the photos it seems that the reds tend to be muted down a bit.</p>