TROUBLE WITH CARD READER

thomas_mcnamara

<p>hello, back again, 2nd post. will make long story short. heres the deal, bought a canon eos digital d30, older camera say from around 2000. camera takes a earlier memory card known as the cf card or compact flash card. camera works fine, pixs are copyed to card no problem, but i had no way to upload them to my pc seeing that i have a card slot on pc but only for the sd card format, so went out bought a usb card reader that can read cf cards as well as about 55 others, but when i connect reader to usb on pc then put my cf card in the right place, nothing comes up. whats wrong? i dont know, please help an avid photographer, thnx</p>

<p>... and it'll only take a year and a half to download the images... ;) ... Seriously. I'm pretty sure it's a USB1.1 connection. I'm also not certain about the driver compatibility or requirements as this camera pre-dates the 'universality' of USB ... IDK for certain though.</p>

<p>I would troubleshoot the CF reader fault. 1) does the light on the reader come on when it is plugged in (sometimes a simple bad cheapy cable is to blame)? Does it come on when the CF card is inserted into the plugged in reader (cause it should, even if just a flash)? Are all the pins properly aligned? Do other CF cards work with the reader? Can you format the CF card when it is inserted? Can you see it with your disk manager? Can you view the images on the camera? Have you tried reformatting the CF card in-camera?</p>

<p>I suspect the answers to those questions will lead you in the right direction...</p>

<p>What Marcus said. I have that exact configuration on several computers: an add-on USB card reader, and it reads CF cards just fine.<br>

<br /> Googling around indicates that the Canon EOS D30 (NOT the 30D, which is a different beast) may have a maximum CF size limit of 2GB: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2152686#forum-post-25578620 I'm not sure if this is due to the file system (FAT vs FAT32) or something else. But try again with a 2GB CF card. And format it using the camera, of cours<br>

<br /> Otherwise. those card readers sell for about $17 on NewEgg or Amazon. It's entirely possible you just got a bad one. They're no-name Chinese consumer goods and not the greatest quality control...</p>

<p>Update: This post indicates the EOS D30 uses a FAT-16 file system, so you're limited to 2GB max CF cards:<br>

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/aviation_photography/read.main/131408/</p>