Pentax K1000 Mirror Problems

christian_thomas1

<p>Hello,<br />I'm having issues with my mirror in my K1000 that I'm using for a class, so hopefully someone can help.<br>

<br />Basically, the mirror seems to be sticking whenever I try to shoot under 1/15th of a second, but anything above 1/15th of a second it does not stick. I've opened it up to observe what happens, and it seems that the little lever on the right inside of the camera that opens and closes the aperture gets stuck in the up position whenever I shoot under 1/15th of a second as well. If I pull that little level down it moves the mirror down with it, but once I let go the mirror pops back up. The only way I can get the mirror and that lever to go back down is if I change the shutter speed to 1/15th or above, and sometimes, very rarely (I've tested like 10 times with each shutter speed), it gets stuck in shutter speeds above 1/15th. When it gets stuck in speeds above 1/15th, though, it normally only takes one more wind and click for the mirror to go back down. <br /><br />So yeah, is this something that I can fix myself, or what would be recommended? My partner has a cell-phone/computer repair kit with very small tools for almost any type of technical job, so I definitely have the tools for it if it's something I can fix. Kind of short on money, so if it's something I can do, that'd be great.</p>

<p>Christian, if you don't get a pretty good answer here quickly you'll probably have a lot better luck asking this question in the Classic Manual Cameras forum. While this forum is Pentax-specific, the Classic Manual forum is full of people who spend all day tinkering with older cameras of every stripe. </p>

<p>This is what I would do, at least as a first resort: remove the base plate, usually just three small screws, and lubricate any linkages, sliders, pivots etc which you can see under there. Use a very light oil such as sewing machine oil, or a spray lubricant (not WD40, I use something called GT85 with PTFE) sprayed into a container and applied by a small brush or cotton bud. Be careful not to dislodge any small springs etc. Wipe away the excess before replacing the baseplate and exercising the camera at various speeds. <br>

<br />It might or might not work but the K1000 has probably been around for thirty years or more with no maintenance it can't hurt. I do this with most old SLR's.</p>