NIkkor 24-120 vs. 28-105 vs. 28-200 ???

ted_de_la_garza

I'm still looking for my ideal travel zoom lens. I've narrowed it

down to the above three.

From what I can find the 28-105 produces the best images and MTP

curves.

Any feedback to confirm or deny my findings on the internet would be

greatly appreciated!!

I am still open to other options / brands.

Thanks Ted

Ted,

After doing a bunch of hands on testing I ended up with the the 28-105 and a 75-300 as my basic "snap shooter" package. For zooms, I am pleased with the lenses. The colors are well saturated and they throw the background out of focus in a very pleasing way.

As a rule, I shoot slide film with one of three Nikon bodies including an F5, then scan my images on a Polaroid 4000 and print on an Epson 1270. The images are better then my wifes point & shoot, and are more then acceptable at 5x7, but they are not as sharp as I would like at 8x10 or above, even when shot from a good tripod.

On this years vacation I took a set of primes instead of the zooms and was very suprised at how much sharper the images seem to me. Perhaps it was better technique on my part, perhaps not.

Enjoy,

Ted,

It's all a matter of trade-offs: sharpness, price, size, convenience.

So what do you care about most? What things do you want to shoot?

For me, when I'm travelling I don't need a lens that goes from wide angle to tele. Buildings don't move, so there's plenty of time to change lenses.

Here's what I used last time: a 24mm and an 80-400mm. Instead of the 80-400 you could easily subsitute an 85, 105 or 135 lens and have a compact, inexpensive and sharp travel kit. Add a 50mm if you like.

If you insist on mid-range zoom, I think everyone will tell you none of them is very good, and none of them is very bad. Of the three you mentioned, people will say the 28-105 is better than the others and might be a good compromise.

<P>Ted, a question like yours has occupied me, on and off, for some time. My conclusion is that there is no ideal travel zoom.</P><P> I thought I had it a few years back when I bought a 35-105 mm zoom, but it is annoyingly not quite as sharp as my primes, and a stop or more slower. I also need a 24mm prime to supplement the wide end. So I'm carrying a zoom and a prime. Might as well carry 3 primes and have done with it.</P><P>Zoom ranges are getting wider but the wider range zooms always carry a penalty in decreased quality at the extremes. The "one lens superzooms" are relatively indifferent, and the zooms in P&S cameras are catching up with them. If you really <I>cannot bear</I> changing lenses, I suggest you ditch the SLR and get a zoom compact.</P>