anilmals that may also come into my path or me in theirs! I am going

to take pictures, period. I am looking for a tour that gets up early,

shoots all day, eats on the run, and shoots until an hour after

sunset! I am in good shape and want to find one that does less time

sitting around and talking and more time out photographing. Is this

asking to much?

Is there such a tour or person that knows all the great spots and is

up for true adventure? I would like to go at whatever time of year is

the best for viewing wildlife or scenery. I heard Autumn is the best.

Thanks,

Willie

Hi, Willie

I used to be a Denali Tour bus driver and wildlife guide for three years. I acquired my fever for wildlife photography at Denali. I know the park quite well. You will definitely get a lot of different opinions as to what is good in the park. The best time of year to shoot wildlife is the spring and the fall. Specifically, my favorite weeks were the last week of May, the first week of June (possibly stretching to first two weeks), the last ten days of August, and the first ten days of September. Fall foliage peak is usually between Aug. 29th and Sep. 4th or 5th.

One excellent, low budget way to get great shooting experience in the park is just to camp in the park on your own. There are few guided ventures in the park itself apart from the Denali Wilderness Camps out in Kantishna. They may be called Camp North Face. I used to see photo tours head out from Kantishna often, but most of their shooting was from the buses. To get the best low-light shooting, camping on your own is best. Otherwise you are confined to the schedules of the buses, which may or may not be suitable. Access is everything in the park. I suggest camping at one of the campgrounds such as Igloo, Teklanika, or Wonder Lake for several days and doing numurous excursions into the backcountry with a good photo backpack. This is the only way to insure enough freedom and flexibility to get the necessary time in the field simply because it's such a big park. The only other way is to get a professional photography permit so you can drive the road, which is not really an option for you, unless your a major pro.

Here's a number to call for a map and brochure of the park: 907-456-0527. That's the public lands office in Fairbanks.

You will probably see several pros in the park. They are the best resources to hook up with and learn from while up there. The bus drivers are all very knowledgeable, and several of them shoot as well.

Good shooting and good luck.

Of course, by the time the snow melts and the parks open up here (late May or early June), "an hour after sunset" is close to dawn :-)

I would recommend late August or early September in national and state parks (altho outside parks you will see relatively little wildlife then since it is hunting season).

Be aware that there are for all practical purposes no private vehicles allowed in Denali national park (and that includes non-park service tour buses).