Stiff Aperture Ring nFD 50 1.8

westphoto

<p>Came across a newFD 50 1.8 last week. It's in good shape, but the aperture ring seems to be fairly stiff, at least in comparison to all my other lenses. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on breaking this down to add oil, or any other advice on the subject?</p>

<p>I've heard they aren't particularly pleasant. I was kind of hoping adjusting the aperture ring might be a fairly easy task, but maybe not.And honestly, it works just fine, and may even be exactly as it should be. It's just the second nFD lens I've had, the first being an eBay beater, and perhaps all of the breach lock lenses just feel that much better.</p>

<p>If you have the correct size and shape screwdrivers, dismantling the nFD mount isn't difficult, although it can be fairly involved. I recommend taking pics with a digital as you go along, so you'll know how it all goes back together.</p>

<p>The aperture ring's lube has probably solidified. When you get to the point when you lift the ring clear of the lens, pay close attention to the little detent ball -- you don't want to lose that, and it can be easily lost. A good way to make sure it doesn't roll off into a parallel dimension is to do your work on top of something like a hand towel. Remove the ring, clean all the old lube off from the ring and the lens body, then <em>lightly</em> relube. I prefer molybdenum disulphide grease, but I'm sure there are others that also work well.</p>