The right Polaroid Pack for Mamiya Universal

paul_uk

<p>I'm thinking of grabbing a Mamiya Universal for some Polaroid shooting, using Fujifilm's FP-100c and FP-3000b. I am at a loss for the right Polaroid Pack though. There are a few on Ebay but they are somewhat pricey. Can anyone say with any degree of certainty if this one will fit on a Mamiya Universal Press? It looks like one that (on Ebay) claims to fit.<br>

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e156228718</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>I read through that blog yesterday. I thought I had matched a similar picture to that but it doesn't look the same, does it. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a nicer one. Can you (or anyone) comment on this?<br>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-Universal-Press-Polaroid-back-Genuine-Instant-Film-back-w-digital-timer-/271981736936?hash=item3f535ff3e8<br>

<br />Digital timer... pricey at $155 but it seems the best option up there now (judging by photos).</p>

<p>The first back you linked to looks like it might be for a Mamiya RB/RZ or 645 series, not a Universal. The second link looks like it should work on a Universal as the two lugs are how the M adapter for Mamiya roll film backs attaches, and how the Polaroid back attaches. The timer looks like an add-on, and I definitely don't have one on the Mamiya adapted Polaroid 405 that I have for my Universal. A built in timer would certainly be useful though.</p>

<p>I would only add to Jim's link that the instructions are for a different model back than mine. The dark slide on mine pulls out from the right side of the camera (from the back) rather than from the bottom as these instructions show. I think the one shown in the OP's second link is more similar to mine.</p>

<p>Wish this was easier... :-/<br>

Thanks for the tips though, guys. Learned something.</p>

<p>I believe I've found one that will work, but won't know for a day or so. There was a complete set (in nice condition) on Ebay affordably, but I sat around too long and it's gone. Will see how this one pans out and let everyone know. I think patience for one attached to (and confirmed to work on) a Universal model is the way to go here. Too many unknowns.</p>

<p>the first link was a mamiya 4.5x6 (645) back, pretty useless as the rest of the format is wasted. the second was a good one. they are somewhat pricey, although the hype is over, fb-3000b film has ended and the future of fb-100c is uncertain. if you have a project, it's still worth the expenses. the fuji film is fantastic and it's self-terminating. no need of a timer. and even if fuji stops fp-100c you can stock it for about 10 years. so go for it. good luck. </p>

<p>Oh, I stock. ;) I have a freezer full of E100VS that I may never get to. I have no qualms about storing a bunch of FP-100c. Fp-3000b seems to be available for a price... for now. Any idea how long it lasts in normal conditions? Similar to FP-100c? Should I be worried about any that has expired a few years ago and wasn't refrigerated? The only problem with stocking it is I was planning on stocking some Provia 400x before it's gone but it's pricey... and I don't see myself using much of it on the horizon. :(<br /><br /><br>

The polaroid is not stuff I'd just go out and shoot like crazy with. If I got a 200 exposures out of a Universal over the next couple of years and then just used it as a 6x9 I'd be totally happy with that. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Just be sure that you don't freeze any of it--that destroys the chemistry. Refrigeration is fine, and will extend the lifespan.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>that was for polaroid film, it's not true for fuji film. I tested freezing fp-100c and the result was fine. maybe there is a slight red tint, it disappeared on my prints after a day or two. we had several tests on a french forum http://www.polaroid-passion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17430 <br /> another member tried fp-3000b. fine as well, maybe you loose a bit of sensivity, but it's just a little bit. nothing compared to not having film any more. so I will freeze some film before it's over. and yes, refrigerating extends lifespan. </p>

<p>There will be an expiration date on the box for storage at normal room temperature, so refrigerating it will extend it beyond that somewhat. When I used Polaroid a lot it was primarily for testing for 4x5 transparency film, so I cared about getting as technically perfect an image as I could to show a client, the result being that I went through it fairly quickly and rarely had out of date materials around. If you're less concerned with absolute technical perfection, then it will probably still work well past the date on the box. I have seen Polaroid materials ruined by freezing, but I have never tried the Fuji B&W or color after freezing, so it might be OK to do that if you're trying to make sure you still have film to shoot if Fuji stops making it.</p>

<p>I do have a lot of expired film, polaroid and fuji. these are my personal findings, no scientific research in no way and no warranty. non-refrigerated film seems to be good for about 3 years beyond the date. after that date it's a game or a bet. I had both, fuji and polaroid film which was usable even after 10 years beyond the date, not as new, but usable. but I also had fuji film which was completely dead and dry after 5 years and polaroid which was really bad after 5 years beyond the date. sx and 600 polaroid film seems to be more fragile than pack film.<br>

if the pack film has been refrigerated from the beginning and you can be somewhat sure about it, no problem so far for about 10 years. I have a big batch of fuji from 2005 which is fine (but you feel it touches the limits) and polaroid from 2006 to 2009 which is still o.k.<br>

forget about impossible film. all of my old film was just bad up to now. but I do have some 8x10 film in the fridge and a bigger batch of second choice sx and 600 film from last year to test this winter...</p>