Need help with new body!

hnl_imaging

<p>Hello, at one point in time I have owned or used a number of Canon bodies and lenses... the 10D, 30D, 5D, 1N, A2, a couple of L series zooms and a couple of primes. I made what was probably a poor decision a few years back to sell all of it because it wasn't getting used once I returned to college, the batteries weren't aging well and I thought it would be best if I purchased a smaller camera that I could keep with me more and some one else could use the gear that was laying around my house rotting... <br>

A couple of years with a G15 and I was ready to move on to something else. I had a few old manual focus pentax lenses and decided to give their digital bodies a go. I then purchased 2 of their limited lenses and was fairly happy with the set up, until my camera started acting flaky and I started looking at getting another newer body. All the new pentax stuff seems to have a possibly high percentage of weird issues such as mirror flap, focus problems, the sensor "stain" problems... More than that, they apparently have slow or poor customer service. <br>

SO I am looking at possibly getting back into Canon, or possibly nikon. That being said, I have been looking at getting a used 7D with a 35/2 or possibly a new or used d7000 with a 35/1.8G. A pentax K3 still looks like a nice option if I could be one of the lucky ones with no issues... <br>

I mainly want to be able to photograph my kids, my G15 has a hard time keeping up with them. I would like decently fast autofocus. I don't remember my 30D being that great with autofocus speed or that great above ISO 400, generally I only liked the 5D above 400... <br>

I really hate the lack of separate controls for aperture and shutter speed, so I am not <em>really</em> interested in rebels. I also use the top LCD screen quite a bit to check settings and occasionally I will guess my exposure settings, so not having to look at the screen in the rear is nice. <br>

I don't care much for video or wifi, gps, etc... <br>

I guess my questions are; is the autofucus of the new X0D bodies much improved over the 30D?<br>

Is the 7D worth the money compared to say a used 50/60D or even a newer/ similar Nikon?<br>

I've heard a couple of conflicting stories about the high ISO performance between the 30D and the 50/60D, are the last 2 or the 7D significantly better? <br>

Any other thoughts or advice you might be willing to give?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

There are many cameras that should fit your bill and budget. You will likely get a lot of personal recommendations, but ultimately it is your personal decision. Because of that, I would recommend the dpreview buying guide as a starting point which just came out on their website. This may narrow down your decision based on features. You may be able to narrow you wish list to a few specific models. After that, visit a camera store where you can see and get a feel for a camera that fits you and your budget best:

http://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=features-default&utm_medium=homepage-block&ref=features-default

If I were to start over and unsure which system of camera to buy into, I would take the 2 hour bus drive to B&H photo where you can see many models.

Keep in mind that a 35mm lens on a crop body will have an angle of view of a "normal" lens of about 50mm on a full frame camera. It depends on your shooting but I owned a 24 2.8 and 35 f2 which I used on a Canon 40D. Looking back at photo database, I used the 24 much, much more than the 35. Then I got a full frame camera and Canon 24 with IS. This is certainly a better lens than the older 24, and I find the IS very helpful for handheld photos. But it does cost a lot more. But again, that is me, and I prefer wider angle lenses, which ultimately I went to full frame because of Canons lack of wide angle lenses for crop cameras. The Pentax system looks good...have built in image stabilization in the bodies and a good selection of wide angle lenses (not just zoom wide angle lenses).

Don't get up in the which is better, Nikon or Canon. That brings back thought of being in high school and hearing students argue...Ford is better, Chevy is better, etc. Cameras are tools, it is up to you to use it correctly, and bear in mind, even though Nikon and Canon are by far the most popular brands, there are also other brands just as capable. Maybe Canon does have a huge selection of lenses, but unless you are going to purchase a super telephoto, who cares that Canon has a great selection of these high-priced, although excellent lenses?

<p>The sensor on the 7D is getting a little long in the tooth, so I'd suggest getting something closer to current production. With a 60D, you'll gain better high-ISO performance. The 7D will do more fps, but at the expense of high-ISO performance. A used 6D might also be an option to consider. For kid, you usually don't need 8 or 10 fps, unless you're shooting sports, then it might be useful and outweigh a lesser sensor.</p>

<p>The used 7D has decent performance up to ISO 800. If you'll be shooting mostly outdoors, then it'll be okay.</p>

<p>I'd try to resolve the "brand" issue once and for all and then stick with your decision. You're unhappy with Pentax, so chose Canon or Nikon. You're used to a Canon layout, so I lean that way, but either will do what you want. Just try to stop making wholesale switches between brands. It just doesn't pay. The leader today will be the laggard tomorrow and most of the "differences" are more perception than reality. </p>

<p>David, thanks for the input. Good to know that the 7D isn't that usable above ISO 800. I was looking at that assuming that it had decent high ISO capability (though 800 isn't that bad... ) and would be quicker in terms of auto-focus than my 30D or my 5D, both of which I remember being slightly behind my 1N... I wasn't too worried about the frame rate so much as being able to lock focus quickly and accurately. <br>

The brand switch was not originally intended to happen, it ended up being more out of convenience and finances at the time. When I decided I needed another SLR Pentax was all I could afford to get into due to having lenses for it already. If I could trust the product, I would probably stay with them. Cameras just cost too much to get a lame duck that you almost can't get fixed. <br>

Would the 60D provide adequate auto- focus speed/ accuracy to deal with kids in average interior light? Say usually where I would set ISO 400 at f2-2.8 and 1/30th-1/60th of a second. <br>

Is ISO 1600 pretty usable?</p>

<p>The Canon x0D bodies have all seen steady improvement in Autofocus and higher ISO performance with each new model. There was a step change after the 60D with the 7D and the improvements in this camera found their way, with some beneficial tweaking, into the 70D. The 60D doesn't have AF micro adjust, this might be an issue if long or wide apertures lenses are envisaged. In order of cost and capability the cameras go; 7D2, 70D, 7D, 60D, 50D, 40D. Although the differences model to model were small, overall there is a big difference in high ISO IQ and AF between the 40D and 70D. The 7D2 is a step ahead again. Start with your budget and see what can be bought. Equally important are the chosen lenses. The more recent STM versions are better while still having reasonable purchase prices. Nikon or Canon, both are good, but Canon seems to have a better price/performance for lenses and their fix-it people seem better.</p>

<p>Since you are starting from scratch, 1st you need to set a budget. Into that you'll need to fit the Camera, lens(es), and accessories. Remember that faster lenses will result in more, lower light, acceptable quality images (in general), so having a fast lens is often more important than having a latest/greatest sensor equipped camera body. </p>

<p>Thanks, I was getting some unclear info on weather the AF was really that much improved from the 30D on. I did finally get to handle the 70D in a store and from looking at the LCD (I know, not perfect...) and handling it, it feels really quite nice. It's quite a bit more than am able to spend at the moment however. I was looking more at 30-50D's used. I put the original 7D out due to the extra inconvenience of paying more for a body as well as for CF cards, all of mine I gave away... It also seems like they are well on their way out... <br>

As far as lenses go, i was looking to start out again with a 35/2. Mainly because its fast, not unreasonably expensive, offers pretty decent IQ, and i have had this yearning desire to take what some of the old timers say to heart and just use one fixed normalish focal length for a while... I would really like to augment that with a 20/2.8 and either an 85/1.8 or 100/2 as soon as I have the cash. I realized, through my pentax experience, that as much as I used to like that 24mm (on full frame 5D or film) focal length that the ~ 30mm equivalent lens allows me to do quite a bit with out as much distortion. I have gotten to where I even prefer 40-60mm equivalent for many landscapes here in CO as it doesn't make the mountains seem so small and insignificant. The 100/2.8 I had was almost perfect except I usually found it a bit to long for trying to work with my girls. I sold it and got a 70/2.4 but pentax's 70mm = ~60mm which is still a little too short in many situations so I am thinking of the 85/1.8 pretty seriously. </p>

<p>Thanks again for the input. </p>