Starting a church directory business, should I shoot RAW or JPEG Fine?

matthew_neale

<p>Just to mention, I have found that the current version of pscc's raw converter does a great job of upsizing when starting with raw. I have many shots from a D70 from 10 years ago which I always shot raw. With the current pscc camera raw I can make 16x20 in portraits that are very nice. I don't think you could start with a jpg and get the same results, as many have mentioned. In other words, you'd have to up rez the raw file to the desired size before giving the jpg to the customer, rather than letting them up rez a jpg, unless you supply them with the raw file, which doesn't make sense.</p>

<p>Matthew, keep in mind that if you are using strobes you can shoot at any shutter speed with the D70.</p>

<p>It has an electronic shutter so it doesn't behave like a regular mechanical focal plane shutter. So if you want to cut down ambient you can just set your camera to 1/500s or so. Actually you can shoot your strobes all the way up to 1/8000s, but usually strobes need more time to dump all the light so you lose some of the light. If you use a sync cord and standard strobes 1/1000s usually works fine. With radio triggers something like 1/500s or 1/800s usually works fine if I remember correctly.</p>

<p>It's a very nice feature when you are overhead lights you can't turn down or off and you don't want them to contaminate your strobe lit scene.</p>

<p>The electronic shutter is one reason why the D70 is not so good in at high iso. It's actually has something like a 12 megapixel sensor but 6 megapixels of the sensor are covered so they don't receive any light. When you capture an image the electrones in the 6 megapixels that can see are immediately moved to the 6 megapixels that are blind. Then the camera can read the 6 blind megapixels and convert them to ones and zeros at a more leisurely pace.</p>