D810 and NX-D workflow problem. Help?

robert_bouknight1

<p>Old habits die hard, I started shooting raw files when it was necessary with D1X&H cameras. I still shoot raw+JPG with the D810 I currently use. Shooting sports, my work flow has been to review the JPGs to delete most lackluster images, then to use NX-D to batch convert the better raws into 1 MB JPGS for distribution and use. Going back to old habits of archival preserving film negatives, I keep the RAW files of the best images.</p>

<p>Well, something is not working with my work flow. For some reason, NX-D is not processing all of my selected D810 raw files into JPGs. In fact, less than half were converted at the last couple of games using the batch process. I could not get NXD to convert a couple of files no matter what.</p>

<p>I did get DXO to convert those same raw files, so the problem does not seem to be the NEF's from the camera. Not happy with NX-D! Anybody else have issues with this? </p>

<p>I always preferred the raw conversion rendition of Nikon Capture NX to Adobe photoshop and DXO. I can't use Capture NX with the D810, darn.</p>

<p>Any ideas?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Capture NX-D got update not many veeks ago. Check that latest version is running. You could try playing around cache setting option to see if it makes any difference. How is it with batch processing jpegs of the same images? Resizing in camera jpegs is not much less optimal than resizing from raw.</p>

<p>Capture NX-D seems to render images with different tones than Adobe or others. Also images shot with high iso get stronger color boost than with competitors. </p>

<p>Apart from Capture NX-D being a workflow problem in itself, it should have no issues at all with NEF files from a D810, and certainly not a 'subset' of those. When it refuses to convert your files, does it show any messages, icons or other things that otherwise aren't shown? If you open the files in ViewNX2/NX-i, does that work? Is there anything you can see in the metadata that is different?<br>

If it does some files, and others not, there has to be some difference, so annoying as it sounds, I'd try to hunt that down.</p>

<p>For what it's worth, I used CaptureNX2 always with pleasure, and indeed it renders more pleasing colours generally in my view than the Adobe software does. Only issues I occassionally had with CNX2 was blowing out the reds on D700 files. When CNX2 was set to go end of life, I moved to CaptureOne instead - colourwise it's not identical to Nikon, but I prefer its defaults a lot over Adobe, plus I find the application a lot nicer to use. May be worth the try, because as a workflow application it's miles ahead of the free Nikon applications.</p>

<p>I do get some sort of an error file in the target directory for each failure. This PC is old, but does have 8GB ram, maybe I should try on the newer one I have.</p>

<p>I updated both NXD and the D810 after finding this problem. No difference with NXD, doubt it will make any difference with the 810, but I have not tried a new set of files since the 810 firmware update.</p>

<p>I will try to find the cache setting. And, CNX was version 2, CNX2. I might try CaptureOne</p>

<p>Thanks all...</p>

<p><em>And, CNX was version 2, CNX2.</em><br /> I assume you have an original software key for the NX2 you were using<br /> If so, you can still use it with the D810 with the program Raw2Nef written by Rene (?) Bagnon<br /> I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to post the link, but I include a screenrpint from the site where you can download it</p>

<p>I don't have a D810, but have considered upgrading to it from my D800. So I found and downloaded a couple of D810 (and D750) NEF to play with</p>

<p>To my delight I was , with the above (very easy to work with) program, still able to process them with the copy of NX2 I have installed<br /> <br />Two, IMO minor, things;<br /> - It as far as I know only works with NX.2.4.6 (but that can still be found and downloaded from the Nikon Support site)<br /> - In the EXIF data the camera type mentioned is the D800 despite that you are using a D810</p>

<p>HTH</p><div>00dd7B-559696284.jpg.a80f0482d5c489ab24e791fb35f94f7e.jpg</div>

<p>I'd suggest to check with a better PC if there is that available.</p>

<p>Using the previous versions of NX-i and NX-d (summer 2015), I noticed that errors appeared usually when there were practically no free memory left (win 7, Resource Monitor tool). Seemed that those Nikon programs were using a generous amount of standby memory. These errors were related to file/folder operations so well that I could crash a program at will just by using file/folder operations via the user interface.<br>

Now it is better with the current software and added another 8G of memory.</p>

<p>It seems that while upgrading cameras along the time, you have to occasionally upgrade the PC to keep it up to the tasks. Intel i5 or better level PC is recommended by Nikon.</p>