Quality of EF-S 24mm 2.8 STM vs EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS

lesroll

<p>Hi all,<br>

I was hoping to get some opinions about the quality and value of the EF-S 24mm 2.8 STM as compared to the EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS. I have the 17-55 and love it, but find myself leaving it at home in favor of my 50mm 1.4 due to size. I have been shooting candids at events (local football game, parties, fundraisers) in addition to local soccer games (with my 75-300mm) and find that I want the smaller / lighter option, or that the 17-55 won't fit in my smaller bag with my 75-300. <br>

So, I gave some passing thought to buying the 24mm because it's small enough to fit pretty much anywhere and short enough that I don't need as much room for candid shots in a crowd as i do with my 50mm on my 40D. Knowing that I effectively already have that same focal length in the 17-55mm zoom, I'm hesitant to duplicate equipment. (I also don't expect to upgrade to FF any time soon. Likely upgrade to a 7D Mark II within the year.)<br>

Does the 24mm STM compare, quality-wise, with the 17-55mm? (at all?) Is it comparable enough that I can feel okay making the purchase based on size and weight of the lens?</p>

<p>Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!<br>

les</p>

<p>I own the EF 24 2.8 STM and recently sold my beloved 17-55 2.8 IS. The difference is not earth chartering as both are excellent optics wide open. The prime is sharper in the edges/corners, has less distortion and is less prime to flare. If you shoot video, the STM prime focuses smooth as silk whereas the 17-55 IS chatters and jerks like crazy during movie servo. The EF-s 24 2.8 STM lives on my SL1 while the beast of a zoom 17-55 is now a mere memory...<br>

My EF-s 24 2.8 STM review:<br>

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_ef24_2.8STM.htm</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Thanks for that! I know the old adage about the better lens is the one you'll use, and like you, I find the beloved 17-55 a

bit hefty and obtrusive as a walk around lens. Not sure if I can bring myself to sell it, but I may need to pick up the

pancake.

<p>I actually buy my 100D/SL1 because of this lens !! i have a sony nex c3 and wanted a good sharp pancake lens for it to make it fit in a jacket pocket but sony not do one thats any good...i also have the 17-55 f2.8, it was my favorite lens until i went full frame ..it was optically better than the Canon 24-105 F4L that it replaced ...the 17-55 is on semi permanent loan so i have not try it side by side but will say the 24 prime is as easily as sharp wide open but may appear a little more crisp so probably better contrast wide open ..as a bonus it can focus surprisingly close as an example i just try focusing on its 52mm lens cap and the top and bottom of the cap just kiss the edge of the frame ..so highly recommended </p>