Group Shot :trigger both speedlite and studio flash

<p>I forget what it's called (CTL?) but the camera has the ability to remotely trigger the speedlight. And if you put an optical trigger on the studio light the speedlight will, in turn, trigger it. <br /><br />You could also put an opitical trigger on both the speedlight and studio light, set the built-in flash at a very low level so it doesn't affect the actual exposure, and use that to trigger both. Personally I prefer a radio trigger. And of course you could use a PC cord to either of the flashes and an optical trigger on the other. Some studio strobes have opitical triggers built in.</p>

<p>Very important thing to begin with: change the pop up flash from your D700 from TTL to Manual (setting E3 in the menu)<br>

<br />In that setting, you'll be able to dial down the power setting so low it may, compared with the flash of the studioflash and the SB800, not show at all in the picture taken.<br>

More importantly though, it will also no longer give a preflash (as would be the case in TTL mode) that would otherwise prematurely trigger your remote studio flash and SB800 (which as I will explain further down can be triggered via an optical cell, which reacts on any flash given, preflash, or intentional)</p>

<p>Then put your SB800 in Manual Mode as well, it will also allow you to dial in any power setting according to your liking.<br>

Secondly, change the setting in Custom Settings to SU-4 mode (page 67 of the manual. PDF versions of the manual can be found on the net if you don't have one). It will then become a 'simple' speedlight with an optical trigger (which will react on any flash, either from your camera, or someone elses).<br>

Don't fool around with the CLS Master and remote settings, leave that on Off, as is has no role in what you intend to use your SB800 for.</p>

<p>Most studio flashes have an optical cell as well (my Bowens and Hensel ones do), so now, if you take a shot, your camera will emit a flash (very weak if desired) without a preflash which would otherwise deplete your remote flashes prematurely, but which will now trigger your SB800 (take care that the opticcal cell is pointed in the direction of the camera) and your studioflash.<br>

If your studio flash doesn't have an optical cell, just buy a simple optical slave cell which you then connect with the (plugged in) flashcord of the studioflash</p>

<p>So if you now take a picture, all three flashes will go at virtually the same moment and you'll have your picture properly (hopefully, or at least not under exposed due to an unintended preflash depleted SB8000 and studio flash) picture</p>

<p>HTH</p><div>00dbLN-559369784.jpg.c518ad2e0af223b2d5ba2b6692b4fa4e.jpg</div>