Nikon AFS I AF Fail Repair

avishek_aiyar

<p>Hello,<br>

Looks like the AFS motor on my 500mm F4 has failed and my lens absolutely refuses to focus. Unfortunately I only found that out when I lugged that beast all the way to Alaska last week! <br>

This lens does not see regular use and I only use it for the occasional birding and wildlife shooting I do. <br>

The last time I had used it was in Dec 2014 and it seemed to work fine. However, when I first purchased it (in June 2014 from a gentleman on Fredmiranda) I did hear a loud squeaking sound during AF operation. That sound went away after a couple of days of use, but now I am wondering that it may have been an early symptom of an AF fail. <br>

In any case, I am now going to send it out for repair. And that is where I wanted to seek some advice. <br>

The Nikon Repair service in Long Island is within driving distance for me. I can take it there, but are there better places in the NY/NJ State area that are cheaper and/or do a better job? I see a lot of authorized service centers that are all within driving distance for me in the NY/NJ area. <br>

Or am I just better off taking it directly to Nikon?<br>

How much damage would an AFS repair do to my wallet? <br>

Thanks for your advice.<br>

Avi</p>

<p>If Nikon Melville (in Long Island) is within driving distance for you, I would take it there. Some 18 years ago, I used to live in New Jersey. When my 500mm/f4 P had a stuck aperture diaphragm, shipping it to Melville cost me like $70 or so. Another place I would trust is Authorized Photo Service in the Chicago area, but shipping cost for such a big lens is going to be high for you.</p>

<p>I would be curious to know how much your repair cost will be, as I have an old 500mm/f4 AF-S also, from 1998. I would imagine that replacing the AF-S motor will cost you a few hundred dollars.</p>

<p>For this lens, yes, you are definitely better off taking it directly to Nikon, and the Melville facility has always done an excellent job for me on the several occasions I have had to use them.<br>

<br>

They always give an estimate before completing a repair which you have to approve before they will do the work. Their work also comes with a guarantee (don't recall how long it is so you should ask).</p>

<p>I have had two of these replaced on different size lenses by Nikon under extended warranty at no charge, and another by Authorized Photo Service which was due to physical abuse (motor only). That ran in excess of $500 last year for a 28-70 model, which likely takes a smaller motor.</p>

<p>Take some test shots before sending the lens in - resolution charts, news papers or whatever.</p>

<p>They have to disassemble the lens to change the motor. That means that the groups in the lens could potentially end up at slightly different positions. I'm pretty sure they line everything up again and recalibrate it but you never know.</p>

<p>If you have some test shots to compare with you can make sure it's optically as good (or better) when you get it back.</p>

<p>Using the online system, the quote for a AF Repair for the lens comes out to $600+taxes. <br>

Of course, the final repair estimate depends on the actual repair to be done, but $600 is the default number that is quoted. <br>

I will get an accurate estimate once I have the lens over to Nikon<br>

Avi</p>

<p>$600 seems to be in the ballpark. Earlier I gave a vague answer on purpose such that I wouldn't provide a low estimate and Avishek would end up paying way more, thus getting frustrated.</p>

<p>I would guess that changing the AF-S motor on something like a 24-70mm/f2.8 or 70-200mm/f2.8 would cost close to $400 (at least that was a figure I heard before), a bit lower than what <a href="/photodb/user?user_id=16738">Curt Wiler</a> pointed out. Since the 500mm/f4 is a larger lens that originally costs a lot more, Nikon would likely charge a bit more for that repair. In any case, $600 sounds about right. The most important thing is that apparently parts are still available for this lens.</p>

<p>Nikon's policy is that they would adjust things back to original specs and they will warranty the repair for 6 months. The 500mm/f4 AF-S I bought way back in 1998 is still on its original motor. This lens should continue to serve you well for years after the repair. If you are picking it up in person, it doesn't hurt to bring a camera body and perhaps tripod to capture a few test shots right there.</p>

<p>A few years ago I got a $450 quote from APS in Morton Grove, IL, to replace the AFS motor in a 17-35/f2.8AF-S Nikkor. The $600 number mentioned above would be a reasonably good price for your 500mm, IMHO.</p>

<p>As others have said, I would drive the lens over to Melville. But, I would also give APS a call (847-966-4091) just to compare prices.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>- Dan</p>

<p>A lot of us here have good experience with Authorized Photo Service in Morton Grove, near Chicago. I have used them exactly once; while they did an excellent job, I didn't find them to be any cheaper than Nikon USA service. If the OP is in the NY/New Jersey area, shipping the 500mm/f4 to Chicago can easily cost $100 each way, especially if you use the original metal trunk to protect the lens during shipping. Back in 1997, it cost me something like $60/70 to ship the 500mm/f4 P from New Jersey to Melville, approximately a 90-mile distance and even UPS Ground would be one-day shipping.</p>

<p>It sure doesn't hurt to call APS to get some quote, but shipping cost will likely be high. Meanwhile, if you need to drive 90 miles (or anything close to that) in New York, it is a bit of a pain too. That was why I ended up shipping the lens back in 1997.</p>

<p>Dan: that is a good idea. I will give APS a call.<br>

Shun: I am ~45 miles away, so its not too bad for me. Besides, I have been planning a trip to Montauk for a while, so a nice excuse to combine that with a stop over at Melville on the way over on Friday. :) Its good that they are open till 7:30 pm.<br>

And yes...I was a bit shocked to see an estimate for $600, but I guess after the repair, the lens will serve for many many years to come. And I could always sell it. With a brand new motor, I would imagine it would give me a decent return. <br>

Thanks folks.<br>

Avi</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Folks: I decided to go with Nikon and avoid the hassle of having to ship the lens to them.<br>

Got the lens back yesterday and its back to "new-like" condition! Nikon replaced the SWM and repaired the helicoid and encoder. <br>

So my lens should be good to go for a long time hopefully.<br>

Thanks for the advice.<br>

Avi</p>

<p>Hi Shun,<br>

It actually worked out cheaper than I thought. <br>

They charged me $420+Tax+shipping, totally roughly $470. <br>

I am happy I went down that route. <br>

Now I am going to wait for the 200-500 lens (have not bought it, but will let the dust settle so to speak, before I buy it). If I end up liking that, I might be tempted to let go of my 500 f4. <br>

I find it a huge pain to travel with the 500 f4. I am hoping the 200-500 will be relatively easier to travel with. The 4 stop VR is another advantage the 200-500 has over the prime. <br>

Avi<br>

P.S.: I started following your initial impressions on the 200-500. Keenly awaiting a detailed review. </p>