Change in color- Windows 10 upgrade

<p>Yeah, this is why people don't want to upgrade once they have a system working. Because microsoft is always screwing with the files, overwriting things you want to keep. Like it did for you.</p>

<p>Any time you upgrade software, be it the entire OS or just your display drivers, a re-calibration of your display is in order, and if you're doing critical work, new custom profiles. Nothing will screw over a nicely working system like "automated updates". Just sayin'.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yeah, this is why people don't want to upgrade once they have a system working. Because microsoft is always screwing with the files, overwriting things you want to keep. Like it did for you.<br>

Any time you upgrade software, be it the entire OS or just your display drivers, a re-calibration of your display is in order, and if you're doing critical work, new custom profiles. Nothing will screw over a nicely working system like "automated updates". Just sayin'.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>"Patch Tuesday" is once a month and this isn't my experience at all. <br>

<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Because microsoft is always screwing with the files, overwriting things you want to keep.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>None of which happened to me on several systems, and during several massive OS upgrades, let alone during normal updates. Maybe because I use a bit of common sense, and make backups of what really matters before clicking "Upgrade"?<br>

My monitor calibration prompts me to redo the profiling every time I (=me, not microsoft or some ghost in the box) update the video card driver. These videocard updates are often useful enough to get better performance in applications that support using the GPU (such as Photoshop, Lightroom, CaptureOne). Profiling the screen is a fully automated job. I rather get the better performance, even if after that I have to leave the PC running a while to do the screen calibration. But if you rather keep the bugs, the security risks and not see any improvements, by all means. Just don't pretend it's good advice.</p>

<p>Thanks much for the advice and comments. I have recalibrated my monitor twice to no effect. I have updated the video card but the color is still off. I'll keep plugging along trying different things to restore the color. There are just too many variables involved.</p>

<p>Just a little warm tale (well warm to me anyway) about how reading something on a forum can help you put something right that is ostensibly not the same as the subject under discussion.</p>

<p>About three days ago I re-profiled my monitor, probably not before time. All seemed OK but soon after I updated the X-rite software and also caught up with a batch of windows updates. I thought nothing of these but I did pretty soon notice that bright /neutral areas on all my edited images , and on my website, tended towards a pale green. Further, even other websites' backgrounds and dialog boxes had taken on a similar green tone. I've looked at a lot of things these last couple of days , trying historical profiles (I have a lot of those), adjusting the monitor's brightness, contrast etc. , looking at the personalisation /colour choices available via the control panel. Nothing did any good at all. A couple of our daughters came round for dinner yesterday- they're no wizards but they are better and less daunted by things PC than I am. No joy, nothing. </p>

<p>Then I read this thread and it helped form a view in my mind that maybe something in all the windows updates I installed on Friday might have reset/adjusted the video card in some way. And if so then re-profiling again now <em><strong>might</strong></em> bring my colours into balance with the video card as now is. So I did and it worked; no greens - well apart from the ones that should be there, in my photos, websites , applications I got my wife to check (my eyes aren't everything they ought to be) and she confirms no greens.</p>

<p>So, my thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I had no idea what to do; it was even a hard problem to describe to ask in a post, but reading this led me to try something that solved my problem 100% immediately. I'm sorry that Ron's issue persists, but his thread has done me a considerable service. My thanks to all of you, and Merry Christmas. </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I just upgraded to Windows 10 and Photoshop Elements 14 and experience your same problems. For years I've been able to get away without using Color Calibation on my Epson 2880. I use only Epson Inks and Epson Papers. I have downloaded the Epson 2880 Driver and all Epson Profiles. Ron, I would appreciate what you've done to resolve your issues. Would also appreciate advice on color calibration packages.<br>

I am planning to upgrade to a Epson P800, but that is on hold until I resolve the issues with the 2880 and Windows. </p>