Extender for 300mm 2.8..the Canon X2-A is better than the Kiron 7 element?

gabriel_gerena

<p>Many years back, I owned a FD 300/4.0L lens along with a FD1.4X-A and FD2X-A tele-converters. The 1.4X was very impressive, very sharp and contrasty no matter the aperture used. I was disappointed with the 2X-A. At least when coupled with the 300/4L, the images were always soft. This was using 35mm slide film and with the camera/lens tripod mounted. </p>

<p>I have no experience with the Kiron, but it could be better than the 2X Canon.</p>

<p>I believe you are supposed to get the 2X-B for the 300mm f2.8. Canon says the 2X-A is for focal lengths 300mm and up but that means 300mm lenses other than the f2.8. The original BL 300mm f2.8 was designed to pair up with a 2X converter which was included with the 300mm f2.8. According to Canon the nFD 300mm f2.8 was designed similarly with the 2X-B but you had to buy the converter separately.</p>

<p>Steven, that seems to go against the research I have done although I have seen people claim they have tried both and didnt notice a thing. I wish Canon's explanation was clearer but at least here it seems to indicate for 300mm and longer I should be using the 2X-A<br>

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/extenders.htm</p>

<p>"The <strong>FD </strong><strong>2X-A</strong><strong> extender doubles the focal length of the prime lens and is designed for use with any lens with a 300mm focal length or longer</strong>, including zoom lenses with 300mm within their range. Using the FD 2X-A converts the 880mm lens to 1600mm, while retaining a minimum shooting distance of 14 meters. The FD <strong>2X-B</strong><strong> extender doubles the focal length of any lens with a focal length of less than 300mm</strong>, including zoom lenses with 200mm within their range. "</p>

<p>I tried to find references when I posted my first reply but couldn't at that time. However, I did finally find this:<br /> From Canon's <strong>Lens Wonderland, Canon FD Lens Guide Book, </strong>booklet, © 1982, <strong>Accessories Guide II</strong>, <strong>Extender FD2x-A/FD2x-B/FD1.4x-A</strong>, page 42:</p>

<p>"... For lenses (including zooms) which have a maximum focal length of less than 300mm, the FD2x-B gives you a 2X increase in focal length. It is also recommended for use with the FD 300mm f/2.8L...."</p>

<p>In your link, you need to go to the bottom of the page and read the note in the light pink box, next to the picture of the 2X-A converter.</p>

<p><strong>Assuming MIR.com is correct, this comment is listed there...ref: a difference regarding which extender is to be used with the 300/2.8-L vs. the 300/4.0-L:</strong></p>

<p><em><strong>“…..Canon recommends that the New FD 300mm f/2.8L to be used with the Extender FD 2X-B instead. The Extender FD 2X-B is supplied as a kit when you purchase the 300mm f/2.8L lens brand new but since it has been discontinued, some dealers may not bundle the Extender with the lens…..”</strong></em><br>

<em><strong> </strong></em><br>

<em><strong>http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/extenders.htm</strong></em></p>

<p>Forget the Kiron 2x MC-7. I have had all of them 1.4x-B, 2x-A, 2x-B, and Kiron, not to mention FD-EOS 1.26x. The Kiron can't compete. At the time I was using the 300/2.8 SSC Fluorite which is a different lens with a different recommended converter again. I could not see the difference between the A and B on the 300/2.8 Fluorite, 400/4.5, or 400/2.8 L, so just used the 2x-A. </p>