Epson R2880 paper feed problem

<p>I am using my rather old Epson R2880 and it has recently started creating havoc with my prints.</p>

<p>I am using Ilford Smooth Pearl paper. The last few centimetres of my prints seem to smear and get black ink marks on the edges. This problem occurs in conjunction with a clicking noise coming from the feed mechanism. I have tried to do a print head alignment (both manually and on auto) but that has had no effect on this.</p>

<p>Has anyone experienced this and if so what has been your remedy? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me with this. </p>

<p>I also use Ilford Smooth Pearl with an Epson R2880 printer. I have had better luck feeding the paper from the rear single sheet loader rather than from the top.</p>

<p>Also, regarding feeding paper using the top loader, there is a circular rod light pipe that determines if paper has been loaded. You can see it through four square holes in the loading area while looking down from above. You should clean this rod occasionally with canned air according to an Epson rep. that I talked to. (I find no mention of this procedure in the printer manual). A dirty light pipe will cause erratic loading. </p>

<p>I've been using Ilford Smooth Pearl for 90% of my printing in an Epson R2880 and 2200 before that and have never had the problem you describe. Sorry I couldn't be of any help but would be surprised if it was the paper causing it.<br>

Hope you publish the solution here when you find it, just in case.</p>