500CM Early Model vs. Late Model (URGENT)

derek_rader

I've seen a littel discussion about the differences but I needed more

specifics regarding their differences. I plan to make the purchase very

soon due to needs for a job, if anyone can provide specifics on which is

better please let me know. Thank You, Derek Rader.

rader@eagle.cc.ukans.edu

To provide more specifics, the late model CM is black and the other CM is chrome. The late model has a rapid advance knob, aside from that I don't know of any differences. My question are regarding the differences in the two CM bodies.

1.) Is the viewfinder in the black model brighter

2.) Are the screens interchangeable in both

3.) Is the rapid advance knob needed

Thank You, Derek Rader

rader@eagle.cc.ukans.edu

<P>All 500CM models and some very late production 500C models have user-interchangeable focusing screens. To remove screen,</p>

<ol>

<li>Remove camera back.</li>

<li>Remove viewfinder by sliding towards rear of camera.</li>

<li>Depress tabs located at either side of viewing screen.</li>

<li>Cup hand over screen.</li>

<li>With hand in place, invert camera body.</li>

</ol>

<p>To insert new screen,</p>

<ol>

<li>Drop new screen carefully into place.</li>

<li>Slide viewfinder back into place.</li>

</ol>

<p>I think that a few very late model 500CM models were sold in the mid 1980s as <em>Classic</em> models and came with brighter screens and the fold-out crank, rather than the regular ground-glass screen and classic knob. Winding knobs are even easier to swap than backs are. The original waist-level viewfinder can be easily swapped for the newer Rollei-style.</p>

<p>The upgrade that makes the most difference, and the one done by many owners, is to upgrade the screen to an Acute-Matte (or newer Acute-Matte D) model. The newer knob and wait-level finder are a little nicer, but are more a matter of personal preference; newer and older models both work well. Many camera stores return the cameras to their original state and sell the bright screens or other accessories separately to increase their profit.</p>

<p>The biggest disadvantage of a 500CM is that it has the shorter mirror, meaning the top of the viewing screen (not the film) darkens with lenses 180mm and longer, or with some other lenses when using extension tubes. The longer screen is available on ELM, 2000, and current models.</p>

<p>I think that the condition of the camera is more important than its age.</p>

CM bodies an ELM bodys can be had in black or chrome,it has noting to do with age. the biggest difference is the len that comes with the body combo. the older CMs came wit a black C T* lens while the newer CMs came with a CF lens. You can add the accumat screen to either body(brighter finder image)You can change winder knobs with winder cranks in about 15 seconds.The older bodys came with knobs the newer came with cranks.All hasselblad equipment interchanges so if you find a body and its not like you want it,it can be in a few min.The c bodys and EL bodys don`t have interchangeble screens but the CM and ELMs do.As for the lens the C uses a 50 bayonet mount the CF uses a 60 b mount.So if you start buying used lenes you want to keep the same filter sizes so you want have to buy lots of different filters.The ELM bodys are a bargain right now you can pick the up on E-bay fot $400.00,I have 2 and mainly use them.But the CM is lighter and makes less noise.

Hi Derek

I have two 500cm's, an early model and a late one. The early model was one of the very first when they where still changing over from C to CM and it still has the rear curtain flash socket and double tripod connection (both 1/4 and 3/8).

The late model only has the 3/8 tripod connection, so keep that in mind. I'm sure it can be changed though.

Both are chrome. Both have interchangeable screens. And since I have taken my early model in for a overhaul it works ever smoother and quieter than my late model!.

A big difference to me that wasn't mentioned (I think) is that the baffling in the late model is considerable improved, keeping flare at bay. Not that it was ever bad at all, just a snappier neg. in theory.

All in all the old 500cm (and 500c's I believe) are great cameras that require little maintenance if you stay above (well above) sea level. Which reminds me that you should check for mould spots near exposed metal in the body, I had some on my early model, fixable with an overhaul.

Early or late, you won't be disappointed,

Ryan

old or new, before buying, look for wear on L- shaped metal ridges where film back meets body.

try on several backs and twist gently. is it moving alot or what? walk away ffrom bodys that

allow for movement with film back. I prefer late model 500 C/M's, the film back hooks are more robust, and that is severly important, i feel, in the long-run. a worn out body is a throw away . some adjustments can be made to thighten up, best done by a tech. I know some who tap on hooks with a hammer to tighten up, but i would never reccommend that!!