55 Years Ago - February 1961

<p>Marc, I am somewhat of a newcomer to all this (also to photo.net), and have just recently discovered your amazing posts. Well done!</p>

<p>Your latest, circa 1961, took me back to my teen years, when I had just (that year) bought my first Yashica D and a brick of Kodak Verichrome Pan and was learning all about the quirks of 120 roll film. Old photo magazines were in every secondhand book shop then, and I bought big. My early education in all things photographic, indeed everything I learned and subsequently applied in my photo career, came from those publications. I had a subscription to U.S. Camera for ten years and in my early so-wise-in-all-things high school years, thought this was a great cut above its competitors, Popular Photography and Modern Photography. We didn't get the English magazines in New Mexico at that time, it was all Kodak, Kodak and Kodak (I was one of the first to break the rules with GAF and DuPont products). I will spare you my thoughts on Verichrome Pan and DK-60a... </p>

<p>I have always been one to move forward and (try to) not look back too much in past time, but after a break of about ten years I am now returning to B&W film, and again indulging in the joys of home processing and printing. So it's good to revisit those old publications, and again see how things were (the low low low prices truly astound me, sigh). In so many ways, what the French say, "plus ca change", is truly wise.</p>

<p>Carry on, please. I will be looking up all your older posts. As the locals in my local pub in the waterfront would surely say, "good one, mate!".</p>

<p>JD in Hobart, Tasmania</p>

<p>Gus - Glad you are enjoying these.</p>

<p>JatDann - Welcome to photo.net. Also glad you are enjoying these. All of us in this forum come from a widely different background. My whole career was in military tracking systems with photography just as a hobby. Our shared passions are the older cameras available to us. I certainly hope you will share your results. We have several prolific posters from your part of the world. They not only share their cameras but also their knowledge of using these cameras both back in the day and their current results. I look forward to seeing your upcoming posts.</p>

<p>In 1961 I was still taking pictures with my Brownie box camera with 116 size Verichrome Pan. I was then give a Kodak Brownie Starflash 127 size film to take with me on scouting trips. In June 1960 I took my first Leica picture on a IIIg of my dad and sister graduating from college on the same day. I still have all the cameras and the graduation slide from which prints were made. I inherited that IIIg from my Dad and still use it. Marc, this was a great look back, thanks.</p>