Sony a6000 and 50mm 1.8 question

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Sony a6000 + 50mm 1.8 and being

more familiar to the Canon system I was unaware there

was no auto/manual focus switch on the lens.

Accidentally, while in auto mode I twisted the focus ring

manually in confusion. It made me think. Is this lens

designed to be used in such a way? There is nothing

online to tell me whether this is the case or not.

I know the camera has DMF but the lens is open to

manually move while in auto mode too if kept in a bag.

It's been bugging me all night, whether I have damaged

the lens or not.

Thank you!

<p>Adam, I have a 5n, and even though the menu doesn't look the same as the menu in the a6000, I think the function is essentially the same. Yes, DMF means you can autofocus the lens, but at any time you can move the focus ring to activate a magnified view in the EVF so you can see if you are focused exactly where you want to be. If the camera is switched in the off position in your bag, moving the ring accidentally does nothing. It is focus by wire. The ring communicates to the camera to move the lens elements. The ring doesn't actually physically move the lens elements when the camera is off. <br>

All you need to really know is nothing you did could damage the lens, but you should know that using DMF is a great feature that isn't possible with some of the other camera options of other brands, and it is worth using. I only use manual focus if I want to manually focus on something in the distance and then wait for something else to happen like enter the field of view, but it is good to be able to do that sometimes also.</p>