Mix & Match systems ?

WAngell

<p>For some time I'd hoped I could put together a single system that worked simply and well from bottom to top. I wanted a single radio system that worked equally well with speedlights and mono heads and a collection of speedlights and mono heads that travelled well or work well in studio. I have a difficult enough time remembering how to operate a camera system, meter, and one radio system. I really don't want to have to remember how to operate two different radio systems. Control of output from the camera position is a high priority.</p>

<p>Phottix is closest and I'm quite happy with the Mitros+ speedlights and Odin I xmitters I've been using. The Indra then would be great but for me has two major failures; a proprietary multi-pin cable and the need for always having an extra pack (either battery or AC converter). This requires extra space, packing, hauling, setup time, and repairs (multi-pins are not durable).</p>

<p>Elinchrom ELC's or BRX500's could work well but it sounds like either these working with Odin's or Mitros+ working with Skyport is a very long way off. Immediate plans are much less capability than this. I do like the Skyport iPad app though.</p>

<p>Compared to Buff I like Elinchrom's attachment system much better but Buff seems to overwhelmingly win the reliability battle. There are rumors that Buff will be filling in some of the the issues I have; introduction of a speedlight (non-TTL but that's fine for me), an IOS app, and building the radio in to the Einstein head instead of having it stick out as it does now. Better attachment system?</p>

<p>SO, very sadly, I'm very likely going with Buff for mono heads (5 Einsteins, radios) which will result in my having two different radio systems to know and in many cases to use simultaineously. At least for the time being. Recommendations on how best to do this? Drawbacks?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I too, have had a desire for a unified system. I had all Buff gear, then explored Hensel and then Bowens. <br>

Most of this was done with an eye to studio photography but one rat years my work has migrated largely to location work.<br>

This has required a re-think in my system. Battery power is mandatory as locations may or may not have power but more importantly it allows me to move quickly.<br>

I am now migrating to Godox flashes as they are the first to offer a full range of strobes that can be powered by Li-ion batteries. More importantly their trigger system is compatible with all their strobes and the receivers do not need batteries. Power is adjustable from the camera.<br>

The new AD600 with built-in battery has completed the set for me. It is available in TTL versions or completely manual for significantly less money. <br>

I have several Godox Ving 850 and 860 speed lights, Several AD-360 360w/s strobes and am awaiting delivery of 2 600w/s AD600s. <br>

They all use Li-ion batteries for long shoots and the AD600s have a Bowens mount that is solid. The AD360s are Quantum clones so a lot of modifiers are available for them and the Vings are speed light form factors also with a lot of accessories available.<br>

My experience with them has been excellent. Solid reliable units with excellent radio triggers.<br>

I highly recommend them.</p>

<p>I had the same issue several years ago. I needed Speedlight type output, High power battery portables and studio type output and wanted to control it all with just the one radio system mixing TTL with Manual. That I found in Quantum.</p>

<p>Monolights and pack/head systems are added by using Quantum Receivers too so no existing lighting was obsolete or beyond inclusion.</p>

<p>Having multiple radio systems leads to incompatibility issues and problems where one system will not trigger the other; the need of two triggers to perform one function (as in the case of the early Godox) and TTL/Manual sync problems; and the necessity to expand multiple systems to cover your whole lighting kit. You then need to carry it all.</p>

<p>Standardising on one radio trigger system is the way to go.</p>