Nice review of Zeiss 35/1.4 with a7RII commentary

<p>Actually, the reviewer used an A7ii. His main complaints were size/weight (unavoidable) and slow focusing under dim light. The A7Rii has twice as many phase detectors for focusing, and better low light capability. I've used mine under some pretty grim lighting conditions, with little or no hunting. It depends on the lens too. A Sony 90mm Micro is a lot slower than other Sony and Zeiss AF lenses.</p>

<p>A trick to help auto focusing is to turn "viewfinder effects" OFF. This keeps the diaphragm completely open until focus lock is achieved in single-servo, or until just before the image is captured. With "effects" ON, the diaphragm always closes to the preset value. The Zeiss 35/1.4 isn't even on my short list, but sooner or later someone will review it on the A7Rii.</p>

<p>How to show AF performance? Maybe the old "iPhone in the eyepiece trick."</p>

<p>Actually, the reviewer used an A7ii. His main complaints were size/weight (unavoidable) and slow focusing under dim light. The A7Rii has twice as many phase detectors for focusing, and better low light capability. I've used mine under some pretty grim lighting conditions, with little or no hunting. It depends on the lens too. A Sony 90mm Micro is a lot slower than other Sony and Zeiss AF lenses.</p>

<p>A trick to help auto focusing is to turn "viewfinder effects" OFF. This keeps the diaphragm completely open until focus lock is achieved in single-servo, or until just before the image is captured. With "effects" ON, the diaphragm always closes to the preset value. The Zeiss 35/1.4 isn't even on my short list, but sooner or later someone will review it on the A7Rii.</p>

<p>Another option which helps AF speed is the "prefocus" option. However this option does not allow you to focus and recompose.</p>

<p>How to show AF performance? Maybe the old "iPhone in the eyepiece trick."</p>

<p>RRR = LOL ;)</p>

<p>There's nothing wrong with the A7ii, except Sony listened and got a few more things right with the RM2, including AF. I've seen a lot of tests placing it right alongside an M240, AA or not. I don't have the Sony/Zeiss 35/1.4, but it's about the same size and weight as Sony's 90/2.8 Macro or 16-35/4 Zoom, and 200 grams lighter than a Summicron 90/2. Compared to a Summilux 35/1.4 it's huge, but if you support the lens with your left hand, it really wouldn't be hard to handle at all.</p>

<p>hint: say "R" three times in a row, like a pirate.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The A7Rii has twice as many phase detectors for focusing, and better low light capability.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The same reviewer also did a video on the A7RII - and with regards to AF he states that it is better than the A7II but still too spotty for low-light use and that he doesn't recommend the A7RII for wedding photography (but highly recommends it for everything else). <br /> <a href="