Velvet Fine Art Paper = Watercolor paper?

I read somewhere that Ilford makes some of the Epson fine art papers... so I wonder is Ilford Galerie Smooth Fine Art the same as the Epson Velvet? You can't buy the Epson Velvet in the UK, but I have tried the Galerie and it is amazing... The Ilford Galerie paper is quite new and I have only so far been able to find it in an A4 size. Its beautiful for B&W.

There seems to be some confusion here, and I�m sure I can make it worse. I have never before heard of any connection between Epson and any �velvet� paper sold here in the US. But there is discussion in an earlier thread indicating that Epson may have some role in distribution of the Somerset Velvet paper that so many of us love so well, except for its price. So, maybe so.

<p>The one that I like so well has the Legion brand name on it. It looks a lot like fine watercolor paper, but it definitely is different. I�ve tried a number of watercolor papers, and none of them have come close to looking like this good stuff does.<p>The Legion website (www.legionpaper.com) indicates, however, that there different forms of �Somerset Velvet.� The one I like so well goes by the complete name of �Legion Somerset Photo Enhanced Velvet.� It is specially made an marketed as a digital printing paper. They have another paper known only as �Legion Somerset Velvet.� I have tried printing on this stuff, and it is horrible. I apparently assumed too much from the fact that Calumet stocks it in their stores. Mostly, it turns out looking like something that was used to blot a wet print on some other paper.

<p>Anyway, the Legion website indicates that both of these papers come from England, so I would imagine they are available on that side of the pond. Take a look at the website, and you can probably find some links showing who sells the paper in Europe. I notice that the website also has a wealth of information, including printing tips and info on profiles for the various digital printing media. I intend to spend some time there once I have this posted.

Photo enhanced Velvet and standard Velvet are different papers - I've used both.

Photo enhanced has more texture and produces slight leather'ish buff marks while standard Velvet is more smooth. Both are otherwise superb papers and have the same coating yielding the same detail and color saturation. Hahnemuhle Torchon is even a bit more distinguised than Photo Enhanced, but tends to show more tracking defects.

I'm pretty sure the mystery Epson paper is just another redistribution of standard Somerset Velvet.

• 11 months later...

Hi Peter, Well from the November press release from the Epson website is the following

"EPSON Launches Its Exclusively Designed Somerset Velvet Media

November 2002 � A new media for artists seeking to reproduce their fine art prints is now available from EPSON. The Somerset Velvet paper is textured, has a resin coating and is designed to be used in conjunction with the EPSON Stylus Pro 7600/9600/10000CF and Stylus Pro 10600 large format range. Its cotton based, acid free, matt surface is compatible with both the EPSON ColorFast and UltraChrome inks.

Customers can expect excellent image quality and a high black density. At a weight of 255g/m2 for the roll and 505 g/m2 for cut sheet, the EPSON Somerset Velvet is a heavyweight media for the professional that allows for easy mounting.

EPSON Somerset Velvet has been exclusively designed in conjunction with the popular manufacturers St Cuthberts Mill and will be a welcome addition for both Fine Art Artists and Professional Photographers alike. Martin Johns Product Manager for Graphics products says: �EPSON is providing the printer of choice for the fine art market, we also want to support this with a high-quality range of media. St Cuthberts Mill has been manufacturing fine art media for many years. We are delighted to have worked with them to design an exclusive EPSON Somerset Velvet specifically for use with the EPSON large format inkjet printers.�

I've used the 'normal' Somerset enhanced velvet paper - but have not seen the epson version - and I havn't seen anything from Somerset named watercolour. see http://www.inveresk.co.uk/stcuth/somerset.htm

Hope this helps, Richard