Voigtlander Bessamatic.

<p>A Bessamatic isn't really any different to inspect than most other lens shutter cameras. With the back open, set the shutter to the various speeds with the lens off and note for variations in duration. If the mechanism is functioning correctly the capping plate and mirror will retract as designed, and all you should see is the circular opening of the shutter. You should also repeat this process with the lens fitted. It's possible that the body is in good order and the lens aperture blades may be sticking. Set 1/500 and f/22 and ensure the lens has stopped down fully when the exposure occurs. You should only see a very small pentagon of light of the blades are clean and being actuating correctly (this can sometimes be an issue if the control rings below the lens bayonet are not moving freely and is a reasonably easy fix if you can take the mount off yourself).<br /><br /> One tip to help check the shutter speeds is to release the shutter via the self timer. This will pre-release the mirror and capping plate and stop the lens down. The leaf shutter fires in isolation when the timer runs off fully. Without the other mechanical noises of the rest of the mechanism some people may find it easier to deduce the speeds this way. Of course if you use a Bessamatic on a tripod at all, it's also a great way to extract maximum results from even a lightweight tripod because when the shutter fires, alone, vibration is so negligible as to be almost non-existent. In this respect the Bessamatic is superior to a Contaflex or maybe even a Rollei TLR in my experience (all of which are, themselves, superlative in comparison to other types of cameras).<br /><br /> Exposure problems can occur if the rear capping plate is not closing correctly. Unlike Eg. the Contaflex models the Bessamatic plate is not held shut only by spring seating pressure. It has its own little latch mechanism to lock it closed and release it that is part of the centre shaft arrangement. If owners poke their digits around inside the back of the camera they can damage the plate actuating parts and then it will not move far enough to close fully and latch up. This ought to be obvious on interpretation of the prints as there will be a definite pattern of fogging based on the way light passes around the bottom of the plate and hits the film. On the other hand if the issue is one of overall excessive exposure for the speed and aperture I would suspect possibly the lens aperture blades are not closing fast enough and need some cleaning. You may first, need to sacrifice another film, metering with a hand held meter or other known good method so that you are sure of the setting being correct for the conditions. Ensure images are made at a variety of f stops including the smallest. It should be possible to ascertain a pattern of overexposure related to certain shutter speeds and/or aperture settings. if wide open images come out well exposed that's a strong indication the aperture blades are sluggish.<br /><br /> Great photographs <strong>Tony</strong>. The Bessamatic is a very underrated camera, and so easy and enjoyable to use it truly belies its age. I should find myself another example or two before word really gets out. They're generally undervalued in comparison to other inferior types at present.</p>

<p>You're welcome. I wrote the above in a hurry, one other point I suggest is to set the shutter speed to one second or even Bulb and the aperture to f/22. Looking through the rear of the camera again, release the shutter and watch carefully the size of the lens opening. When the mechanism is clean and functioning correctly the lens will have stopped down completely to f/22 before the shutter blades even begin to open. If you are able to detect the size of the aperture reducing at all, after the shutter blades have opened, it's confirmation that the blades are running slow. This applies to any of the leaf shutter SLRs, of course. In the case of the Bessamatic the aperture mechanism is integral to the lens not the camera body (unlike Eg. a Contaflex). So if the blades are not stopping down fast enough, it may be because they require cleaning for the usual reasons that affect older equipment. On the other hand, in the case of the Bessamatic, if you are lucky, it might also be because the actuating rings that rotate around the inside of the body lens mounts are sticking (the tabs on their ends are visible through their slots).<br /><br />The way to confirm this, if you have another lens, is to try different lenses. It is possible, of course, that both lenses might require cleaning. But you can get a pretty good idea of this with the lenses off the camera too. See if the aperture blades look clean and check out by manually arming and releasing their control rings on the lenses that are engaged by their counterparts on the body (it's not dissimilar in principle to checking a conventional auto aperture SLR lens, you're trying to see if the blades move promptly and snappily). If the lens(es) seem to check out OK but do not move as rapidly when fitted to the body you can be fairly sure that the control mechanism on the body is the delay in the chain of events. Now it is true that the Bessamatic is one of the most complicated lens shutter SLRs. It's much more complicated than most Contaflexes. They have a very beautifully made mechanism, but it is a complex one. However, it is not so bad to remove the fastening screws for the lens mount to reach the control rings for the lens and their gearing. Yes, they need to be re-installed in the correct timing after cleaning and lubrication, but if you ensure the shutter is fired and that the controls are set to Eg Bulb and f/2, and take plenty of detailed digital images showing the location of the rings etc. it is actually not so hard to remove these, ensure they are clean and moving freely, and then re-install them. Most of the complexity in the Bessamatic occurs when you delve into the body proper. If you confine any disassembly to the lens mount area and ensure excessive amounts of lighter fluid are *not* introduced into the body, if the rings are the issue you just might have an easy fix. Watch carefully the position of the aperture setting knob on the top left, and if possible don't adjust it with the front off, for ease of re-assembly. <br /><br />The other point is that there is a repair manual for the Bessamatic available via eBay on CD. I'm masochistic enough to tackle such complicated designs without the aid of such assists, but I still try to take an intelligent approach to repairs, to achieve the highest quality work I can, and I will gladly acquire whatever information is available for a particular model. I bought a copy of this manual myself some years ago and it is excellent. It is very detailed about the specific areas that may need attention, and is accompanied by numerous photographs of the mechanism showing correct orientation for re-assembly and pitfalls to be aware of. I highly recommend it, and even if you are not a particularly experienced repairer, if you have the necessary patience and dexterity, you could probably just about manage a complete strip down and re-assembly armed with this document. You may wish to consider procuring it as an aid to confidence before contemplating any work on your own. The seller does not presently have one listed, but did have one listed recently. I'm sure in the not too distant future he will offer more, or, get in touch with him to arrange one. I have no connection to the seller at all other than as a satisfied purchaser of said document. Hope this helps.<br /> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Instructions-for-the-VOIGTLANDER-Bessamatic-and-Bessamatic-DeLuxe-CD-/361515329508?hash=item542bfe27e4:g:fawAAOSwX~dWjwcJ</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I just bought a Bessamatic with the 50 2.8 and 135 lenses. Apparently the camera is in good working condition, with an accurate meter! As it wings its way to me, it was great to discover this thread and all the information, expecially from Tony and Brett, about these cameras. I love these old Voigtlaenders and how beautifully they were made. I'm looking forward to gettinbg my hands on it all the more! :)</p>