Great Q&A with Zeiss at Photoplus

<p>Here is a pretty interesting interview with Zeiss from Photoplus. Gives a nice little inside look at some of what Zeiss is thinking. When asked about the shortage of Batis lenses right now they said...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>First we would like to apologize for this situation. We are well aware of the problem and it goes without saying that we are not happy with the situation. We have to admit that we have been surprised by how popular the A7 markII series (A7II, A7rII and now the A7sII) has become over the past few months. The demand for the Batis lenses have been a lot higher than expected. We are working on this to reduce the waiting time as quickly as possible.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's a nice little insight into the a7 line. But they also go on to discuss the challenges the short flange distance can create, like with wide angles. Overall an interesting read, including their mention that FF is where they will be focusing their efforts even if this means less for apsc.</p>

<p>You can read the article here.<br>

http://ilovehatephoto.com/2015/11/05/ilhp-and-zeiss-at-photoplus-expo-2015-exclusive-interview/#more-13287</p>

<p>Popular? Batis lenses are selling for $800 over list on the internet. That's popular. I managed to get mine from B&H on the second wave, early October, and I'm not letting them go.</p>

<p>Worth it? The Batis lenses are simply great. The autofocus is fast and accurate, the lenses are surprisingly light considering their bulk (3" x 3.5"). Manual focus is fly-by-wire, but more responsive than other AF lenses I have for the Sony. Most of all they are sharp, wide open, out to the extreme corners. I like the Loxia 35/2, but the Batis 25/2 is the one I use the most of any. It's on the camera now, where it has been the first choice from day one.</p>

<p>If the Zeiss rep(s) brought up the short flange to focus distance as a challenge to wide lens design, I think that they may have falsely cast it as a problem. I have seen what the short F to F distance allows Fujifilm to accomplish, like a 14mm/2.8(21mm-e on 24x36) that has almost no distortion.<br>

The short F to F is an advantage from all I can see.</p>

<p>Before Sony, Zeiss designed lenses for SLR cameras, including Hasselblad, Rolleiflex, or rangefinder film cameras like the Contax and Leica.</p>

<p>The short flange to focal plane distance means their traditional symmetrical lenses, like the Biogon and Planar, present some problems maintaining sharpness toward the corners of the image due to the acute angle of incidence. This is primarily due to the thickness of the glass cover over the sensor, whereas film presents a unobstructed surface.</p>

<p>Zeiss' response was to dial the thickness of the Sony glass (~ 2mm) into the optical formula of the lens, assuming (or with the understanding) that Sony would maintain this design for the foreseeable future. In order to increase the back focus distance, Zeiss turns to the Distagon design, which lends itself better to inverse telephoto lenses. While the Loxia 35/2 is a modified Biogon design (very sharp, almost zero distortion), the 35/1.4, Batis 25/2 and Loxia 21/2.8 lenses are Distagons. For similar reasons, Zeiss used a Sonnar rather than Planar design for lenses 50 mm and longer, particularly where a fast (f/2 or wider) lens is desired. Zeiss has also chosen to sacrifice low distortion for a simpler, lighter (and less expensive) line of EFC* and SLR lenses (q.v., Milvus), knowing that distortion can be corrected easily in post or firmware (as in the Sony A7).</p>

<p>Fuji has the same problem, and likely designs their lenses accordingly, only to an APS-C field of view.</p>

<p>* EFC or Electronic Finder Camera is Sean Reid's term to distinguish cameras like the Sony A7 with an eye level finder from mirrorless cameras in general, which include P&S and cell phones.</p>

<p>I emphasized the Batis lenses because this thread started on a Zeiss theme. However at 25 mm and 85 mm, they represent the bookends of the "normal" range of lenses. Sony has several AF prime lenses bridging the gap - 28/2, 35/2.8, 55/1.8 and 90/2.8 Micro. All of these lenses have received highly favorable reviews.</p>