Rainforest Wide

lew_carver

<p>I have been happily putzing with my FZ200 for several years but now am putting together a system for three weeks in topical rainforests. Weather “resistance” is a necessity and cost a concern otherwise the choices made would have been different. So far I have a D7200, a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and a refurbished Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 DX. I am looking at the Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED as my final acquisition for this trip but would rather have something faster; light is not bright in the understory. Any weather “resistant” options I've missed? Any comments on limitations I may need to anticipate with the given equipment or tips on shooting in rain/cloud-forests appreciated. (Due to being old and a bit shaky I seldom take a shot off tripod.)</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Lew, have you considered a "mackintosh" for the camera and lens? These are a custom plastic or rubberised fabric cover, sometimes incorporating a filter-fitting port for the lens.</p>

<p>Link: http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/matin-deluxe-waterproof-camera-cover.html?gclid=CNDektmW68kCFWsJwwodVwgFdQ</p>

<p>Personally I'd be as much concerned about precipitation/condensation on the D7200 as the lens. The lens sealing gasket is a bit of a joke, since condensation can just as easily creep into the focus/zoom ring gaps, battery compartment, switches, etc. And I'm not sure you'll get anything faster than f/3.5 in a lens as short as 10mm.</p>

<p>Thanks, yes I am planning on getting a camera cover. I am concerned about condensation. Though I have no idea how much problem that will be. None of the lodges we will be staying at have air conditioning and I'm planning to seal the camera in a plastic bag with a fresh desiccant pack each night, Perhaps the lenses too if I can figure out how to transport enough individually sealed desiccant.</p>

<p>"And I'm not sure you'll get anything faster than f/3.5 in a lens as short as 10mm.”<br>

<br>

I was afraid that was the case, but thanks for the reassurance that I've done my home work on that one.</p>

<p>I've never experienced anything particularly noteworthy with respect to rain forest photography issues<br>

except with air conditioners (apparently not relevant for your trip), and the need to always have a plastic bag<br>

available at a moments notice to protect equipment from instantaneous downpours. I bring along a large <br>

plastic bag for the telephoto/tripod setup and a smaller bag for smaller lens/body combos. Reasonable<br>

practices should result in no problems. I tend to shoot at a bit higher ISO and use effective noise reduction s/w <br>

to cleanup my best results. Have fun!</p>

<p>My thanks for all the posts and good ideas for dealing with moisture. There may be a subtext here that I am misinformed as to the value of weather “resistance” rating for lenses and cameras but from the Tokina 11-16mm AT-X 116 PRO DX II specs page: “** Please note, the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX lens itself is not waterproof or water resistant”. Otherwise it would be my choice for a UWA zoom.</p>

<p>Do people here shoot in rainforests (in the rainy season) with non weather “resistant” lenses and without problems?</p>

<p>Again thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Lew, I think you've nailed the problem when you say that condensation is likely to be more of an issue than precipitation. Keeping lenses and camera warm and desiccated overnight should prevent them from dipping below the dewpoint and having condensation form inside the elements.</p>

<p>We've had a bit of a "rainy season" here of late, with high humidity. Simply taking a lens from a cold room to a warmer one resulted in the lens misting up to the point where contrast was severely affected. It took around 30mins to fully clear the condensation from inside the lens by gently warming it over a heater. I don't think any "ass-gasket" would have helped in the circumstances.</p>

<p>I have the Nikkor 10-24 and have used it in very heavy rain on my D7000 wihtout any problems. The only protection I have for it is a Nikon NC filter. While I have not used them in tropical rain storms, the lens sure have gotten exposed to the elements, rain in particular. As long as I dare use the camera, I dare use the 10-24. A camera cover would make the combo even more safe to use, so that is money well spent.</p>

<p>I like the 10-24 and as already mentioned, F3.5 is not a problem with such a short focal lenght. Its main advantage is its sharpness at 10mm wide open. While I know there are several alternatives I wanted the widest possible with good optical quality wide open for versatility.</p>

<p>Weather sealing is a combination of engineering and marketing and the result is something that is very difficult to compare or assess. For instance, the Sony Z mobile phone range was until recently marketed as waterproof. They could be submerged in water and it was part of their marketing. Now they only claim to be quite water resistant, but no longer waterproof. I supose it is due to warranty claims.</p>

<p>Rice is very good advice. Much cheaper and easier to find than desiccant.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Please note, the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX lens itself is not waterproof or water resistant”. Otherwise it would be my choice for a UWA zoom.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>i dont know that any of the lenses available for nikon are truly water-resistant under those conditions. the 10-24 has a plastic covering at the mount, but im not sure i would trust that in a rainforest, since water can get in elsewhere, i.e. extending lens barrel. if you're on a tripod then fussing with a rain cover shouldnt be too big of a deal. in any event, i would get the 11-20/2.8 for brightness throughout the zoom range and overall optical quality.</p>

<p>I wouldn't use ANY camera gear out in a steady rain without protection, unless it was rated for underwater use. Too much risk. I shoot in all kinds of weather, and if raining I simply keep everything covered with either a plastic bag or an umbrella if it's really coming down.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I don't see any "weather resistant" lens being enough for something like that. Either cover it well with plastic or get a camera designed for underwater use. Highly doubt Nikon will honor any warranty if something were to be damaged from being wet, no matter what claims they make about "resistance."</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>