A7r For Second Body

I have a Nikon D810 and I'm thinking about picking up a

used A7r as a second body. I would use the A7r mostly

as a walk around camera and for travel when I want to

haul around less weight. I would likely purchase one or

two of the Sony FE lenses to use with the A7r. I

understand that there are shutter shake issues with the

A7r, but it sounds like there are ways to get around them.

I'm curious if others who have used the A7r have any

experience with this issue. Also, I tend to do a lot of long

exposures and I'm curious whether anyone has

experienced noise issues with the A7r similar to those

reported in the A7rii.

I would appreciate any other thoughts folks have about using the A7r for these purposes and any real world comparison to the d810.

<p>The A7 comes out better in resolution tests using the electronic front shutter. The A7ii better yet since it has internal image stabilization. You can find some good bargains on the A7ii, new or used, so I'd recommend that route. Nikon lenses work very well on the Sony, but manual focus only.</p>

<p>Sony A7 cameras work best with native lenses. It wouldn't be long before you'd be carrying two sets of lenses for the same work. As a practical backup for a D810, you'd be better off with a D750 or another D810.</p>

<p>I bought a Sony A7ii as a "backup" for a Leica M9, sharing the Leica lenses. Before long the M9 went to the back of the bag. The Sony is THAT good. If you have any sense of loyalty to Nikon, don't get a Sony.</p>

<p>I concur with Edward: the A7 is inexpensive and 24Mpx is plenty of resolution.<br>

<br>

A further thought: maybe look at the A7s? It's more expensive but does things that no other camera can. It's the ultimate do-everything camera that can handle pretty much any lighting condition known to man. It also features an electronic shutter, which the A7 doesn't.<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you have any sense of loyalty to Nikon, don't get a Sony.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's funny, because that sort of describes what happened to me. However, that was an easy choice. What's not easy is living without a Leica, even though I don't really need one!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Shouldn't a "second body" take the same lenses as the first body?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, but only if you're using them at the same time. Jason would probably be happy with two completely different systems, given his intentions.</p>

<p>Just today this was posted on the rumor sites<br>

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/nikon-to-e-mount-autofocus-adapter-will-go-on-sale-soon/<br>

Remains to be seen how well it performs.<br>

I just purchased an "open box" A7R from BuyDig.com and a used 28mm/f2 FE lens from B&H. I'm hoping this will be the basis of a landscape setup, I'm getting tired of all the <em>sturm und drang</em> of Fuji XTrans foliage issues, even using Iridient.<br>

One note to the OP: if you use a Mac on El Capitan (OS X 10.11) you will need to find a friend running 10.10 (Yosemite) or earlier in order to update firmware on the first gen. A7 series, if the camera you buy does not have the latest firmware.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...