Leicaflex SL

jim_watkins1

Hi to all. I'm a fairly new user(1 year)of a Leica M6TTL. Love it.

Been lurking here reading all the excellent posts...learning a lot.

Some real knowledge here.

Came across a Leica SL with a vario elmar 75-200 f4.5 lens (Japanese)

in a pawn shop the other day. The price seems reasonable-$400/both,

but I'm concerned because the camera has seen some heavy use, and

past postings have cautioned about a hard to get 1.3v battery-#625?.

Would I be able to use a 1.5v #625 that I can find a the drug store?

I'm interested in the SL because my wife and I would like to

occasionally photo a bird or something with a long lens.

Also, I was not able bring the lens into focus at the 200 mm length,

but was when I brought it down to 75 mm or so.

How much is a CLA likely to cost me for this camera?

Thanks very much in advance for any input.

1) You won't get accurate metering with the 1.5v battery unless the meter is recalibrated and even then the alkaline battery won't discharge evenly throughout its life, giving decreasing voltage over time. Best way is to get the $30 CRIS MR-9 adaptor that houses an MS76 silver-oxide 1.5v battery.

2) $400 for the two together is a good deal if they're not trashed. You can probably sell the lens (and well you should)for $400 if it isn't scratched up or fungused.

3) A CLA will run $150-200 on that body, plus parts if needed. If the meter cell has had it (possible with the early-type cell, less so with the later type)that could run another $100 or more.

4) I'd go for it frankly, as you could probably sell them "as is" for parts for what you're going to pay...but of course I'd suggest you don't mention that to the pawnshop owner. Just tell him everyone's buying autofocus and digital today, you just want it for parts, and offer to take it off his hands for whatever he thinks he's got in it.

Jim:

As to batteries - the best solution is a CRIS adapter, which is the size and shape of the old mercury 625 battery, but has a cavity inside which accepts the same battery as your M6ttl, plus micro-circuitry to reduce the voltage from 1.5v to 1.3v. They cost $40-50, but are a relatively permanent accesory - you don't have to get a new one each time you change batteries.

The 'straight' 1.5v 625-size battery will throw off the meter (although you can compensate some by just setting a different film speed). I don't know how big the error is (1-2 stops?).

I have an SL - I HAD a 75-200 - not a bad lens but I found it hard to focus at ALL focal lengths due to the low aperture speed and the fact the SL has no focus aid (split-prism). Ultimately in this range I decided I prefered the Leica-M 135 Tele-Elmar f/4 - lighter, sharper, faster(!) aperture.

Some people think you're better off just buying the original Minolta lens the Leica design is based on - I disagree somewhat. The Leica lens clearly has "Leica" color and tonality; it's just a little soft compared with the contemporary single focal lengths (as most zooms were in the '70s).

I can't tell off-hand from your description whether the 200mm focus problem is in the lens or the camera - in either case at 75mm the extra depth of field might cover any error.

CLA cost: in the $175-$250 range(?)

As to bird photography, Doug Herr will no doubt see this and post a link to his work shot with an SL, but with the lovely (and often cheapish) Leica 400 f/6.8. Now that's a BIRD lens!

Pawn shops don't pay top dollar, and if it was an unclaimed pawn rather than a purchase by the shop, he might only have $50 to $100 invested. People frequenting pawn shops try not to borrow more than they need! Point out the need for the battery adapter and bargain to the best of your ability! He might be happy to take 10 crisp twenties.

As an alternative to the battery adapter, you might want to try the WEIN zinc/air batteries. The MRB625 is a 1.35 V replacement for the PX625 and PX13 mercury batteries.

I recently bought some for my old Luna Pro and it's giving me consistently accurate readings for the first time in years. Be advised, I have no idea how long the batteries will last in regular use--I've heard they have a short lifespan. B&H has them--I don't remember the price.

Thanks, guys. The stuff was well used, not abused..clearly used as someones well worn tools would be. I'll probably get back with the shop on Monday and see what I can work out. The CRIS adaptor sounds like the practical solution to the battery problem. Being able to use readily available batteries would be nice.

I've done my share of horsetrading with pawnshop owners (I collect old wristwatches) but most of these guys are just trying to make a living so I don't try to beat out every last nickle from them. Plus, it often pays to leave them feeling good about you, they are more likely to bring out the "good stuff" next time you visit.

Thanks again for your thoughtful responses.

Jim. it looks like you've already decided to go for it. I say it's a

good deal. I used this lens for almost a year; it's a decent

performer if bokeh means nothing to you, but it's not long

enough for bird photos. Selling the lens will get you enough for a

CLA, even if it needs additional parts. The SL is hard to destroy.

For bird photos use the 400mm f/6.8, a bargain among 400mm

lenses. See <A

HREF="http://www.wildlightphoto.com">www.wildlightphoto.com

</A>

I'd go for it, but bargain the pawnbroker down. And don't worry too much about the batteries. As other postings advised, you can use the WeinCell replacement, the CRIS adapter, or buy the mercury PX-625 batteries which are still available at around $10 each, I think (haven't checked lately), from a company in Massachusetts at www.px625.com. Buy a bunch and store them in your refrigerator (not freezer)--they'll last for many years.
Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck