Shutter release and main dial with salt water damage

jae_p

<p>Somehow I got salt water, I think from my hair?, onto my Canon T4i camera body, most notably on my shutter release button and dial. I didn't notice it until I turned on my camera and it started taking pictures on its own. So I turned it off and tried to wipe off all the salt but didn't wipe it down with fresh water until I got home a couple hours later. 24 hours later, I tried it again and everything works except the shutter release and the main dial, which of course are very important. So now I can't shoot in manual because the mode dial is unresponsive. I can get around the shutter button by using a release wire or my remote or the screen in Manual mode, but I can't get around not being able to use the main dial. Is it worth it to send this in for repair? Will the cost of repair not be worth it and should I just upgrade to a t5i body? I have my old Canon 20D as a backup, but don't know if I can afford to upgrade right now.</p>

I agree with both posts above. Back in the day I did my own repairs to my Hasselblads and other cameras such as the

older Canon and Nikon's. I worked part-time in a camera repair center in Burbank, CA. Here's the issue with saltwater. It's

like rust on a car. Once you have rust on a car it keeps spreading. Salt does the same thing. Canon may write back to you

saying that due to the salt water they won't attempt to fix it, because of that rust effect I was referring to and more damage

will continue to occur as time goes on. So both Canon and Nikon usually won't mess with salt related damage. You could

look around for a place that does repairs but won't be too concerned about salt, if it's just a drop or 2.

<p>Usually Canon refuses to repair salt water damage since they can't guarantee their repairs (due to the evasive nature of salt water damage. If you have electrical contact cleaner laying around, zap some on the switch and work it. I've had a few come back to life after the contact cleaner treatment.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>For what it's worth. The auto focus stopped working on my 5D11, everything else worked fine. After a lengthy discussion with the Canon repair center I sent the camera for service. Canon refused to fix it. They said it had significant water damage. I've never dropped the camera in a lake or used it in the rain, however I lived in Bermuda and I assume humidity was the culprit. So Canon sent the camera back to me, less the battery cover. Now it won't even turn on. Thanks a lot Canon.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses! So far I have used distilled water then 70% isopropyl alcohol (all I had at the moment.) Then I let it dry in fridge until I could get 91% isopropyl alcohol. I am drying again and if that doesn't work, I will use deoxit d5 contact cleaner, although I'm a little nervous about using it since you are supposed to wipe it off according to the can and I'm spraying it in. But I'll hold it upside down and just use a little bit-hopefully that will be OK? Canon told me it costs $190 + tax flat rate to fix a t4i, and that's if they decide to fix it. The refurbished models they are offering are not that much cheaper than online, but I will also call my insurance company just in case. However, my deductible is quite high for personal property insurance so I don't know if it will really matter that much.</p>