V35 Enlarger

<p>Hi all, newbie here. Hope you can advise me. </p>

<p>I'm about to set up my first darkroom and I have the chance to buy a Leitz V35 enlarger. On the plus side, it's in perfect working order and comes with the original lens and negative carrier. However, it has the older version of the light box with a single condenser, and I've been told the version with two condensers is better. Also it has a Colour module, but because I want to develop a lot of B&W as well as trying colour, I've been told that the Multigrade module is the one to have. </p>

<p>As luck would have it, I've found a second Leitz V35 for sale. It has the newer light box with two condensers, and also the Multigrade module. However, it's broken and being sold for parts. </p>

<p>So forgive me if this is a dumb question, but like I say - I'm new to this: : If I bought both enlargers, would I be able to take the the later light box and Multigrade module from the broken enlarger and fit them to the earlier working one?</p>

<p>Hope you can help.</p>

<p>Yes -- go for them both!<br>

I'm confused about condensers in the light box. My V35 doesn't have ANY, but there is a diffusion disc.!<br>

I recommend that you find a copy of "Leica Darkroom Practice, (The Focomat Manual)" by Rudolph Seck, which is comprehansive to the V35.</p>

<p>Usually a diffusion disc would be used with filters when printing from color negatives while condensers would be used for b&w.<br>

Based on <a href="http://www.leicapages.com/focomat.html">http://www.leicapages.com/focomat.htm</a>l and <a href="http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm">http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm</a> this had options for a color head, multigrade filter head or b&w module. The second link says, "<em>The original model used a single condenser design right above the negative carrier. During 1987, Leitz changed this light box by adding a second condenser which purpose was to more evenly illuminate the negative.</em>" </p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Many thanks for your replies guys. </p>

<p>I've decided to buy the older model V35 and stick with the colour head which comes with it. I'm also going to buy the double disc light box from the second (broken) enlarger and install that in the working enlarger. </p>

<p>I'm looking forward to getting started with it! Thanks for your advice. </p>

<p>I agree with Paul about the enlarging lenses. For many years I have used a cheap Fujimoto enlarger with a colour head, mainly because I could fit it to a substantial copy stand. It worked out well with multigrade papers once I got hold of the guide. I think diffuser enlargers probably have less trouble with even illumination.<br>

Having had good but antiquated equipment in training, and worked on the enlargers of others, that's when I first met a cheap enlarging lens. There was something wrong; I had trouble focusing on the grain. <br>

I subsequently bought a Leitz Focotar f4.5 from the early 1960's, and all became right again, more than right, but I have used Nikkor, Minolta and others. without complaint.<br>

Beacause our business required me to split the copy stand and enlarger 4 years ago, and I was doing almost everything in digital, I haven't had darkroom facilities, but a client is wanting to dispose of a Leitz *** (don't know) in good nick, I am a bit eager. The Fujimoto was a pain when doing big enlargements, with me stretched out like an orangutan between focusing knob and focus finder.</p>

<p>Guys, thanks for all your illuminating (sorry!) responses. </p>

<p>I've only been researching this subject for a couple of weeks and it's already clear that there are many people out there with strongly held views about the various merits of different systems. What's really encouraging is that there do seem to be so many people keeping this wonderful craft alive. </p>

<p>This will be my first ever foray into the darkroom so I plan to keep things as simple as possible - at least to start with. On that basis, plus the fact that the vast majority of advice I've been given points towards the reliability, user-friendliness and excellent visual results of the Leitz, I've decided to go with the V35. I have the opportunity to buy one in perfect working condition at a good price (£100 GBP) and I've also been able to source the newer version of the light box with two discs, plus a Multigrade module (which I'm told is better for B&W) and some spare bulbs thrown in.</p>

<p>The whole deal is costing me £160 GBP. I'm happy with that. Now let's hope I can produce some images that will be worth the effort!</p>

<p>Thanks again for all your advice. </p>

<p>Simon</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The "problem" with a V35 with diffusion box is the lost production of the necessary HLX bulb: Philips 13139 75Watt. In time it will be impossible to find it anymore. However you have always an exit to the Heiland V35 cold LED light source, with of without Split Grade module.<br>

http://shop.fotohuisrovo.nl/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=506&language=en</p>

Every time I see one of these threads it reminds me that I've got a V35 in my garage I haven't used for

years and should probably make the effort to sell. I just don't want to have to ship it. Great enlarger and

you can't go wrong with one IMO.

<p>Every newspaper I worked at had Leitz enlargers. I bought a Durst 606 when I was a teenager and still own it altho the darkroom's no longer set up. They all worked great.<br>

A couple of things about enlargers. The diffusion enlargers tend to be a flat light and thus not very contrasty. The condenser enlargers are contrasty but show every bit of dust and other faults. I had a Schneider Componon enlarging lens and it is one of the best. The sharpest f-stop with an enlarger lens is one stop from wide open. <br>

Good luck with your new enlarger. It's a good one.</p>