Cap for HN-8

mukul_dube

<p>I have bought a Nikkor 105/2.5 for my Sony A7. The lens, which should reach me in a week or two, will come with an HN-8 hood. For speed of working I keep my lenses with hoods mounted and capped. I'll be grateful if someone would tell me what is the diameter of the front of the HN-8. I prefer push-on caps, but as they are difficult to find I usually make do with clip-in ones.</p>

<p>Hopefully your HN-8 will fit tighter on your 105 than the one I have does on mine. It's the loosest hood for any of my lenses. I find it's pretty quick to just flip the hood around and use a standard 52mm lens cap. If your HN-8 fits like mine, I think your hood (with the cap you want to buy) will be falling off in your camera bag.</p>

<p>HN-8 looks like a screw-in; I've got an older 105 f/2.5 which has the HS-4 hood, which is clip on (which would show the behaviour Tim mentions). Later AiS 105 f/2.5 models had a built-in sliding hood (I have one of those too).</p>

<p>I do not know for the HN-8 hood, but my only other lens with a screw-in hood, the cap fits also with the hood mounted (inside the hood). So I would wait first to see the lens, and see if this also applies to this one.</p>

<p>Thank you, Wouter. You are likely to be correct. I have a 35/2 Nikkor also, which takes an HN-3 hood -- and the lens cap can be fitted to the lens with the hood mounted. It's a bit fiddly, though, and I'd much prefer a cap that goes on the front of the hood.</p>

<p>HN-8 has threads but the ring is split and a small lever can be slid to compress the ring for easy connection.<br>

The hood's ID is not a standard size. About 69.5mm. If you can find a 67mm it is worth a try but would probably be too loose for comfort. 72mm is too large.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>HN-8 has threads but the ring is split and a small lever can be slid to compress the ring for easy connection.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That describes the HS-8 (<a href="http://www.rockycameras.com/ekmps/shops/rockcameras/images/-nikon-nikon-hs-8-metal-lens-hood-5.99-47955-p[ekm]500x375[ekm].jpg">http://www.rockycameras.com/ekmps/shops/rockcameras/images/-nikon-nikon-hs-8-metal-lens-hood-5.99-47955-p[ekm]500x375[ekm].jpg</a>) that came standard with my 105/2.5 Ai (purchased in 1979); I would be surprised if the HN-8 has the same features - every HN hood I ever used just had an unbroken thread and no other features: <a href="http://www.antiquary.jp/shopimages/antiquary/0200080004182.jpg">http://www.antiquary.jp/shopimages/antiquary/0200080004182.jpg </a></p>

<p>I wouldn't let the absence of the lens cap deter me from getting a good sample of the 105/2.5 AI Nikkor. It's the single best lens I've ever owned or tried from any maker, one of the few I wouldn't hesitate to use wide open even when I want good sharpness. It improves a bit in contrast stopped down to f/2.8 or f/4.</p>

<p>Mine came with the HS-8 split-ring hood and associated cap, which are handy but finicky. It's handy because the hood can be reverse mounted across the lens barrel, and fits any 52mm filter thread Nikkor - so I've also used it on my 85/2 AIS Nikkor without vignetting on my 35mm film SLRs. It also fits my 50mm Nikkors and won't vignette if I'm using those lenses on a DX sensor dSLR.</p>

<p>But it's finicky because the split-ring clip-on cap never fit correctly to form a decent dust seal, and pops off easily. And after 10 or so years of fairly regular use the springy split-ring on the hood popped apart. It appears to be repairable, by pressing a smooth pin back into place, although some tightening may be needed.</p>

<p>The 105/2.5 has a formidable reputation, and I used one in Leica mount with an M3 for a couple of years. I already have a 90mm Elmarit which gives as good results with my Sony A7 as it did with film Leicas. There is the temptation of selling the Elmarit and spending less than half of what I get on a Nikkor. There is also a reluctance to get into the hassle of buying and selling which is not essential. Hoods, in the end, are not a problem. A seller named HeavyStar offers screw-in hoods in different lengths to suit wide, standard and tele lenses, each with a cap. I have one on the Elmarit and I had them for a 135mm Hektor and the Nikkor 105/2.5. I screw them on and leave them on.</p>

<p>I don't recall what hood is on my 105/2.5 but I know it's screw-on and I have no trouble keeping it on. I also know I use a Tupperware tumbler lid on the end of the hood as a lens cap so I can leave the hood attached.<br>

Back in the all manual focus era when most Nikon lenses used 52mm filters, most hoods could be capped with a Tupperware tumbler lid, a trick I learned from the Nikon School and one which stood me in good stead for decades. </p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>No Tupperware in India, sad to say. Two years ago I needed a cap for a Canon lens hood. I was lucky to find, on eBay, a pair of caps of the right size made for binoculars. One went on the Canon hood -- and the other fit exactly <em>inside</em> another hood which was capless.</p>

There are many cans and jars in all sizes that come with a lid that could be used that find their way from the shop to your kitchen cabinet. Doesn't have to be Tupperware branded. They just have to fit. It's a bit of a search, needing some luck. But i too use an assortment of found lids (peanut butter jar lid, lid of a can of cashew nuts, and such) as caps for 'hooded' lenses. Sometimes that is just the best, because only, solution.