Returned my 6D today, received a bad copy

mark_stephan2

<p>My local camera store ordered my 6D last week and we ended up with a bad copy. Our testing revealed soft images on the left side of the image while the other 75% looked sharp. We tested my 70-200, 24-105 and 100-400L lenses. I returned it to the store and they are returning it to their supplier. It's not all bad though, while I was there returning the camera I picked up a beautiful 100-400L lens for a great price! I'm going to do a little more research, now that I have this awesome Image Stabilized zoom lens I'm thinking about ordering a 70D for the extra reach and pick up a FF camera later.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm thinking about ordering a 70D for the extra reach and pick up a FF camera later.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Great idea, Mark. I use a dual format kit (5DII and 7D), and couldn't be happier. <br>

<br>

And good score on the 100-400. I have the newer version of that lens, and it hasn't left my 7D since I purchased it a few months ago. </p>

<p>I'm not sure what you plan to do with the 100-400mm, but, if it's birds and wildlife, then the 7D MkII would be a much better choice than the 70D.</p>

<p>I have a two-body setup, with a 7D MkII for birds and wildlife, usually paired with my 500/f4. The full-frame is a 5DsR, with the 70-200mm mounted when in the woods and the 24-105mm for travel. </p>

<p>Be sure to shoot in Raw and use Digital Lens Optimization on those zooms. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I'm thinking about ordering a 70D for the extra reach and pick up a FF camera later."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>When you pick up a FF camera later, please consider the 6D again. You may have gotten a bad copy the first time, but in general there have been very few complaints regarding the 6D (especially getting a bad copy). I have been more than pleased with mine.</p>

<p>I'll just in and say the 6D and 70D make a great duo: similar weight, controls and feel, and complement one another's strengths and weaknesses well. Both cameras are very light compared to the 5D MKII and 7D combo I used prior and have much better IQ to boot. I especially love the Movie servo and touchscreen on the 70D. The touchscreen makes focus pulls and selecting AF points in LV/video modes a snap compared to wheels and buttons.</p>

<p>No problems with sensor alignment on either camera (left and right are equally sharp) although my old 10D was a little softer on the left side...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>The 5D MkII and 7D have inferior AF systems vs. the 5D MkIII, the 7D MkII and, now, the 5Ds and sR. The AF system of the 6D and 70D are not up to the task of bird-in-flight and really challenging subjects, but that's NOT a concern to most shooters.</p>

<p>Just to confirm, the 7D MkII/5DsR is a great two-body combo, if you need and can use their superior AF systems.</p>