16-35 F4 vs 17-40 and vignetting with filters

jimpete

<p>I currently have the 17-40 and love to stack filters (Screw on type). I like to stack a normal thickness polarizer with various ND filters for landscape shots. I use a 5D MarkII. I noticed that I get a lot of vignetting with this arrangement at less than 20mm. It is kind of nice on some shots to have that last bit of wide angle with no vignettting so as not to have to deal with cropping and post processing. I was wondering if the 16-35 F4 might be better at less vignetting and if anyone has experience with a slim polarizer with the above lenses and whether this improves the situation. If the 16-35F4 is better (with less vignetting) then it may be worth swapping lenses for a $500 difference. Perhaps someone has figured a practical workaround to reduce vignetting with screw in type filters at 16-19mm with these lenses. Thank for any help. </p>

<p>I used to own the 17-40 and upgraded to the 16-35 for IS. I remember the issue you're describing on the 17-40, but I now always remove the protector (UV) when adding polarizer etc and I typically don't stack any further than that...at any rate I would think a set of 82mm filters and a 77mm>82mm step-up ring would solve the problem more cost-effectively than the lens upgrade though, especially if you can get a few bucks back for your used 77mm filters.</p>

Good questions. I like the "Thin," filter quality glass filters such as for polarizing. For nature I also like using oversize filters such as 6 inch square filters, such as a 3 F-stop Neutral Density filter. They can of course be expensive but the quality is usually very good. I'm perhaps going overboard here over overkill, but I do believe in quality filters to match your quality lenses. I sometimes carry crappy plastic filters, $10 lens filters for safety only, however I remove them before taking a photo.

Back to the thin polarizing filters. With the 16x35mm, no problems. No vignetting.

As David wisely says, don't stack them.

<p>I have a 17-40 L and there is no vignetting at 17mm with a Hoya Pro polarizer. Of course, once I stack an additional filter I have to zoom to 20-24mm to ditch the vignette. I mainly use the 17-40 for streams and waterfalls and need a ND plus polarizer to blur the water. The easiest and cheapest method is to use the built-in filter holder on the end of the lens mount. I cut a few gels to fit and slip one in before a shoot.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter