Processing Nikon D810 files

michaelging

<p>I have shot with Nikon cameras for 40 yrs, my first being a Nikon Ftn shooting film, and with a company Nikon with all the film models and now with digital. I have shot with a D3 and a D3s for the past few years as a freelancer, but have been seduced by the D810. I still open my files with Adobe bridge and work on them as RAW neff files, before converting them to Jpeg's or Tiff files. I then work on them in using Photoshop CS4 to fine tune them. The D810 files do not seem to be supported by Adobe with my CS4 other than converting them to a Dng file using the DNG converter 9.1. I have searched here and on the internet to see if there is a work around so, that I can open the files in Bridge and work on them as a full raw file. It seems to me that a DNG file does not have the full amount of latitude that a RAW file does, I may be wrong. I am willing to bite the bullet and pay Adobe $9.99 every month to have CS6 if that will be the only way to get the full potential out of my NEF files. I have tried lightroom and like the way it organizes the photos, but still like and know Bridge better. I would appreciate any feedback from any one who may help.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I've only skimmed the spec, but there doesn't seem to be anything about DNG that inherently limits the bit depth more than NEF. Now is, of course, a bad time to talk about the D810 with Adobe (they broke their default D810 raw profile in a recent update), but it doesn't sound as though that's your problem. I don't suppose you'd consider DxO OpticsPro, if you're effectively paying for a raw converter anyway? It'll save to 16-bit TIFF, and the PRIME noise reduction and the lens corrections are pretty useful, in my experience.</p>

<p>I did manage to update the .8db files in CS3 with later ones, by hacking the file descriptors and forcing ACR to recognise a new set of cameras. That was quite a while ago and I can't remember the exact way that I did it now. It wasn't straightforward, but I was really p*ssed that Adobe arbitrarily withdrew support for older versions of PS, and I wanted to prove to myself that it would cost them nothing to make newer camera database files backwardly compatible, since they were already developed for more recent ACR versions.</p>

<p>Since then I've moved to CaptureOne with occasional use of NX-2 as my RAW converters. Then saved as 16 bit TIFFs for use in PS or another image editor.</p>

<p>If I where you I would play around with the DNG converter first and try to get a good feel for it. If you still are not happy then I would move on to Capture 1 and not look back. C1 has arguably the best RAW converter out there and does much more then that. Try the free trial and see what you think. The tethered work flow alone is worth the money.</p>

<p>Another CaptureOne convert (and frankly, I think it needs less work than the Adobe raw converter to make files look good) - it is an option worth considering, as is DxO. But given you're used to Bridge/ACR/Photoshop already, personally I would go with the $10/month Adobe CC option. The newer version Photoshop have plenty novelties to make it worth it, you'll have the most up to date PS always (handy when you change operating system), plus you get "native" support for your cameras and you can continue to use the workflow you know. Lightroom as an added bonus, and it would give you ample time to experiment with it and see if (in time) it could take over the role of bridge/ACR for the mass volume of the work.<br>

If you'd buy Lightroom or CaptureOne now (as Bridge/ACR replacements) you'll have a disruption in your workflow while learning the new tool. Could be worth it in the long run, but you only know after trying, and if you have a lot of work on your hands, time to try might be scarse. So, it's mainly balancing time, effort and budget - all the solutions will work, it's more a matter of deciding what works best <em>for you</em>. The $10 Adobe option seems the smoothest path to me.</p>

<p>i agree with Wouter. I was faced with the exact problem and tried every workaround I could find and then went for the ten dollar a month plan and have never looked back. It is worth it in every way, as Wouter said. My d810 and I have never been happier.</p>

<p>-Cheers</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I concur with Lorne. I am a working photographer who shoots NEF 100% of the time. You should try Capture NX-D, which is free, for your RAW White Balance and exposure adjustments (you can also change schemes eg. Vivid, Standard, Neutral etc). then have it do the batch conversion to JPEG so you can finish editing in CS4. Its well known that the Nikon software does a better job with the color of NIKON NEFs, overall color and WB accuracy, than any of the Adobe software. I have not used Capture One in a while. I use NX-D regularly for color sensitive shoots taken with the D750 and I get good results. <br>

I use View NX2 for less complex jobs, quick WB and exposure adjustments. Works fine for less complex tasks. Also free from Nikon.</p>