In dire need of more storage

<p>Currently I use a 2T NAS and have some HDs jukeboxed off line. Then I have 5 HD drives on my machine so I mirror locally. Hence its a big nightmare. The NAS has 2 disks so its fairly safe, but its only 2T total. There are much bigger, pricier NAS drives, but as its mentioned in other posts I should have stuff backed up off site. <br>

So I bit the bullet I have just decided to try Carbonite and the upload is a bit slow, but the amount of data is huge. the biggest headache are all the raw RAW files, I keep to many and need to follow Ansel Adams advice about the garbage can being the most useful piece of equipment in a darkroom. There is way too much stuff. <br>

So the processed stuff and the current working set, I will try to use Carbonite to back up, plus I will use my NAS but I have to avoid running out of space. I will continue to offload files to HD drives, until I throw in the towel. <br>

I think its impossible to keep all this stuff forever and I need to prioritize what I keep and blow away most of it that will no longer be used. The finished product should always remain, the RAW files of the winning pictures also but the garbage can or the delete key is an important piece of equipment I have to use more often. </p>

<p>Well I have results of the Carbonite experiment. Forget backing up RAW files, it takes over a week to upload just 300G. JPGS and my local files are all done, which is nice. My video? You must be very selective in what you back up. </p>

Waste of time. It took 14 months for Crashplan to back

up the drives I pointed at it. And it's only use for me is to

restore from a disaster. Today, companies like

Carbonite and Crashplan don't appeal to me now that

Google Drive and MS OneDrive are on the scene and I

can access my stuffs anywhere and on anything.

• 3 months later...