Black Bar on Pictures

mark_leroy

<p>First off, I know this has been covered before, but it seems as though there are a couple details left out of other posts that I would think are important. I m having an issue where a black bar covers the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 of my photos. However, if I look through the viewfinder its not there (but if I use the digital viewfinder it is). The camera has had no impact or damage that I can remember, and I was using it within the last 5 minutes before I stated taking pictures with the black bar appearing. I'm also doing nothing with flash, as that seems to be a repeating issue for some people. From what I'm gathering its just that the shutter has somehow become damaged. Would that be correct? Its still under warranty, should I just send it back? Thanks.<br>

Body: Nikon D5300 Lens: Nikon DX 18-105mm</p>

<p>That would be the mirror not retracting during the exposure<br>

Or the shutter<br>

I had to have the mirror replaced on my D800 because of this <br>

Try taking the lens off the camera, select "Mirror Up for Cleaning" and see if the mirror fully retracts</p>

Mirror box mechanism needs replacement. The mirror is faulty as it can not swing out of the path of light in time to complete a full frame

capture. That is what you are seeing a portion of the mirror clipping your image. I just got my D800 fixed. This is what was done:

FRONT BODY UNIT,

SB PCB UNIT,

GRIP UNIT,

SIDE RUBBER UNIT,

REAR RUBBER UNIT,

BOTTOM COVER RUBBER UNIT,

ALL PARTS REPLACED.

• 4 years later...
Mirror box mechanism needs replacement. The mirror is faulty as it can not swing out of the path of light in time to complete a full frame

capture. That is what you are seeing a portion of the mirror clipping your image. I just got my D800 fixed. This is what was done:

FRONT BODY UNIT,

SB PCB UNIT,

GRIP UNIT,

SIDE RUBBER UNIT,

REAR RUBBER UNIT,

BOTTOM COVER RUBBER UNIT,

ALL PARTS REPLACED.

How much did it cost you to fix your D800? i got the same problem. Thanks