Slow autofocus with D7200 and 16-85 mm DX

andreas_weber1

<p>Hi all,<br /> <br />I just bought a new AF-S 16-85 DX for my D7200.<br /> It's the first time I got a lens with ultrasonic motor. However, I'm dissapointed with the autofocus speed. It focusses slower (about half a second) than my old mechanical screw drive lenses which are much faster on the D7200 (50 mm 1,8 D, 80-200 mm 2,8 D, ...).<br /> <br />What's going on here? I've noticed that with the lens cap on, speed from infinity to close up is much faster. But as soon as you try to focus the real world the slow behaviour is back.<br>

Also, there's a slight noise when focusing - is this normal for an AF-S or should it be dead silent?<br>

<br /> Thanks for your help and input!</p>

<p>I've had all three lenses you mention on a D300, and I can echo what Shun wrote. The 16-85VR isn't an action lens; mine was very accurate at focussing though. Plus, once it started hunting, it would be faster to re-acquire focus than the 80-200 f/2.8D; the initial focus acquisition was slower and AF tracking too.<br>

There is a slight noise from the VR mechanism, and while the focus is extremely silent, it's not completely noise-free. So it much depends on what a 'slight noise' is to you whether it is normal or not.</p>

<p>I concur with Shun and Wouter - my 16-85 is relatively slow compared to other lenses.<br>

However, I suggest you try to put your 16-85 on a different body to see if it focuses faster on that other camera. Any Nikon DSLR will do - DX or FX. If your 50 focuses faster than your 16-85 (and it should), I also suggest trying it on the other body, too, to see if the focus speeds of both lenses seem to behave like what you see with your D7200.<br>

I hope you find that there's no problem. The statement that the 16-85 focuses accurately but is not an action lens is a very good description.</p>