SQ-A Ground Glass has scratches

tom_schelling

<p>Hello!</p>

<p>I recently purchased a Bronica SQ-A camera and the ground glass has scratches on it. It also seems dark when viewed through the prism viewfinder. The scratches seem more noticeable using the prism viewfinder than the waist level viewfinder as well.<br>

I was wondering if anyone knew of any way to either repair the ground glass (which actually might be a piece of plastic) or purchase a replacement piece, as I can't seem to find any information about it using google.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>-Tom</p>

<p>Tom, The plastic screen for the Bronica can't be repaired - you will have to purchase a replacement, probably used as I doubt you will find a new one. There are one or two third party makes (assuming they are still available) such as a Beatie Intenscreen, but they aren't cheap.<br /> The Bronica prism finder isn't the brightest and is considerably dimmer than the waist level finder, which will always be brighter than any prism.</p>

<p>Especially if you're using a prism you should consider one of the aftermarket screen options available for the Bronica SQ series. They are really easy to fit and make the view ttl a lot brighter. IMO the best of these is made by Bill Maxwell at Maxwell Precision Optics. Contact details are on Facebook. The re are also the Beattie, mentioned above -which I have used) and a similar product from Brightscreen that I have no experience with. Its many years since I bought any of these and so whilst I'm pretty sure Maxwell is still trading ( he will make a screen to your spec including choice of microprism collar and split image device) I can't be sure about the others since demand for these products will have fallen off a cliff in the last decade.</p>

<p>The problem you'll have is that they are not cheap and a new screen might easily cost what you paid for the camera/back/lens. You might find one used though be aware that they scratch easily and a used screen may well not be pristine - as yours isn't. </p>

<p>I have a maxwell custom screen for my ETRSI. Scratched to hell at this stage. How it ended up that way I have no clue but I do not worry about it as the scratches do not bother me in the least. It was the increase in viewing brightness I was after (should be said that the factory screen did have a slight edge in the contrast department)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have a maxwell custom screen for my ETRSI.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />I own three ETS bodies. 20 years ago I put a Britescreen or an Intenscreen (can't recall which) into one. I've never used a Maxwell. I never saw a difference then and don't now. I do recall that when brighter aftermarket screens were very popular one criticism was that to get them brighter you had to give up some contrast and this was a disadvantage since the human eye relies on contrast to aid in focusing. YMMV</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p> I have to say that I found my Bronicas easier to focus with a Maxwell screen than without. Before I used the Maxwells I had Beattie screens and like Henry I didn't find those terribly easy to focus, especially with telephoto lenses. The thing that makes a huge difference in focussing to me is a diagonal split image device. Vertical and horizontal ones work well sometimes when there are clear horizontal and vertical elements respectively in the subject. There seems always to be something a diagonal will latch onto.</p>

<p>Over time some of the SQ series lenses were changed. I have both the 150/4 PS and the older 150/3.5 S. If I am in lower light I use the older f/3.5. There was also a 105/3.5 S which I have. It has closer focusing than either 150 and is easy to focus. When the PS lenses came out there was no 105 version. My preferred focusing screen for most purposes and in most formats is a grid type. You can sometimes get a better deal on a Bronica focusing screen by buying the camera too. I have a number of SQ-As as well as an SQ-AM. The design of the electronic Bronicas with the leaf shutters build into their lenses may have made it more difficult to make the lenses any faster. As an example, the 50mm lenses for the ETR series have an f/2.8 maximum aperture. The 50mm lenses for the SQ cameras are f/3.5s and the 50mm for the GS-1 is an f/4.5. </p>