D3200 focusing screen replacement

Matthew Currie

<p>A recent thread on a damaged screen got me thinking about my D3200 and the difficulty I have of getting reliable manual focus with that little viewfinder and my tired old eyes. A magnifying eyepiece helps, but I've seen a few offers for split image and microprism screens for this, and it does not look too hard to do. I'm wondering, though, if anyone here has real world experience with one of these, if the procedure worked simply and if the result was worthwhile. And, of course, if there is any particular make, brand, supplier, etc. recommended.</p>

<p>Of course I know I could solve most of the problem by upgrading either to FX or to a D7xxx, But the cheapskate in me is trying to find a way to get better averages with the D3200 anyway. </p>

<p>I had a D3200 and I installed a focus screen to use a couple of old manual focus lens I have and it was great, without any significant change on light metering, if any. The Viewfinder focus dot on D3200 did not work well for me. I bought at the time the KatzEye but they are now closed, they just stop making/selling it.<br /> <br />By the time I choose KatzEye because I conclude that it was the best one reading a lot of reviews (by the way that was when I hear about photo.net and start reading it daily till now), but I read also at the time on some websites that the ones on Ebay work just fine, and a lot chipper. I never test then.<br /> I sold my D3200 with the focus screen installed, it won't work with another model. Now with a D7100, my lens do not fit on it like they did on D3200, they are pre AI, just a Series E fits. The focus dot work much better on D7100 and gives a clue to what direction you need to go to focus, but it just a good help, not fast to see or check as focus screen. I didn't care to buy a focus screen for D7100, and now is too late fo KatzEye.<br /> <br />I see they sell a few on ebay for about $30, for the price it worth the try <strong>BUT for the risk</strong> of scratching the mirror or the original screen, dust inside the metering cabinet, alignment problem and possible metering problems, I don't think it worth. May be someone else have tested and can tell you more details.</p>

<p>Try to learn how to use the manual focus on D3200 without focus screen, it's fun. I switch to a D7100 because it wasn't comfortable for me, I like to shoot in manual mode most of the time. I said switch because I don't call it exactly a upgrade, the image on D3200 and D7100 are basically the same, both are really great.<br>

<br /> Added: I also put on my D3200 the DK-21M Magnifying Eyepiece, it helped a lot about what you called little viewfinder, I kept it and still use it on my D7100.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information. I do use the DK-21M on mine, and it helps a lot, but I still find it difficult to focus accurately at times. For tripod work, live view can work nicely, but I don't like it when hand holding. I tried my wife's D7100 with my manual focusing 85, and it was a big jump in quality. As you say, the image quality is similar between the two, but that finder is far better. </p>

<p>But I am worried about the possibility of scratching and misalignment, which is why I was looking for feedback. So far, it sounds as if it worked for you. </p>

<p>Katzeye modified Nikon K3 focusing screens (original screen on manual focus FM3A camera) to fit other cameras.</p>

<p>If you're a cheapskate you can do it yourself.<br /> http://yipal.blogspot.se/2008/10/fitting-k3-focus-screen-to-d70s.html</p>

<p>If you're not, you buy one. Avoid unbranded focusing screen at all costs. The one I've seen are horrible. What you want is a quality screen made for manual focusing that has been modified to fit your camera. Nikon K3, Canon EC-B, Minolta X700 are screens that have been popular to use for this.</p>

<p>Right now focusingscreen.com is probably your best bet for a quality focusing screen that already fits your camera.</p>

<p>What may happen when mounting a focusing screen that actually shows whats in focus and what's not, is that you might discover that the focusing screen actually needed to be calibrated from the beginning. You just couldn't see it before.</p>

<p>Minor adjustments are done by adjusting the mirror stops and larger adjustments are made by using shims under the focusing screen. When adjusting the mirror stops autofocus need to be recalibrated which is done electronically. I recommend that if you find out that your focusing screen needs calibration that you let a camera repair shop do it. They have the electronic and optical tools needed to get it right.</p>

<p>PS. If you are worried to scratch your camera just installing a different focusing screen, you should really just buy one that fits and have a local shop install it for you.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Of course I know I could solve most of the problem by upgrading either to FX or to a D7xxx,</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not really, it's very hard to focus on these cameras as well. The focusing screen in autofocus cameras are not designed for fast accurate manual focus. So you need a different screen for those cameras as well.</p>

<p>In the old days some people preferred a focusing screen without split image and micro prisms. But even without those focusing aids the matte area was still made for fast and accurate manual focus. Not so today.</p>

<p>Nikon focusing screens today are just made to be as bright as possible. Canon however still provide different focusing screens suitable for manual focus for their higher end cameras.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It sounds like a bit to bite off, and I might consult with a local digital camera repair guy before I go ahead. Thanks all for the feedback. At least my current focus seems to be pretty accurate.</p>

<p>Pete S, I realize that focus is still far from ideal on something like the d7100, but I tried one and found it a good deal better than the D3200. Similarly, my old F4, despite its plain matte screen, is reasonable with care. </p>