Rotating Switch on Minolta 100 Marco AF

<p>I just bought a 2nd generation (1993-2000) Minolta 100 Macro AF 2.8 lens, product number: 25811. <br>

<br>

On the barrel is a rotating switch with two settings, FULL and LIMIT. How is this used and what position should it be in normal operation.<br>

<br>

BTW There is also a Focus Lock button on the barrel.<br>

<br>

Thanks in advantance</p>

<p>I had the same lens many years ago when I had a Minolta. The limit switch only allows the lens to focus within a certain distance range. I don't remember what it was, but I found a review of the lens at <a href="http://kenrockwell.com/minolta/maxxum/100mm-f28.htm">http://kenrockwell.com/minolta/maxxum/100mm-f28.htm</a> He tells the focus ranges that are useable with the limit switch engaged. I no longer use Sony/Minolta cameras, but that was probably the sharpest lens I have ever used.</p>

I have the newer Minolta version of this lens, which also has this FULL/LIMIT switch on the side. When set to FULL, the lens uses its full focusing range. When set to LIMIT, you are limiting the focusing range that the lens can use - which speeds up autofocus, as the lens will not search for focus across its entire focusing range.

When set to LIMIT, the focusing range is restricted to the range from 35cm to 53cm or from 59cm to infinity. Which range applies depends on the focus position of the lens when you engage the LIMIT setting.

If you are shooting portraits for example, you might engage the LIMIT setting in the "59cm to infinity" range. If you are shooting macro subjects, you might engage the LIMIT setting in the "35cm to 53cm" range.