MF looking to try out Large format

grant_gardner1

Hello,

I currently use medium format in a few different Rolleiflexes but am looking to get a large format, most likely 4x5 camera, to try out and

supplement my TLRs. The portability of the graflex press cameras appeals to me as well as the price. Would this be a good option to look

for for someone starting out in large format or would I be served better with a field/view camera? Will a well-kept graflex produce quality

exposures?

<p>A press camera, like the Graflex, does not have back tilt or swing. Back tilts and swings is what lets a view camera control the shape of the subject, like eliminating converging lines on a building. So if you only want to do what you can do know with a Rollei then, yes, a press camera will work.<br>

If you want to learn what a view camera can do then you need a view camera or a technical camera. The view camera can be either a folding or a monorail type or a hybred of both like a Technikardan which is a folding monorail.<br>

A technical camera can be either hand held using the rangefinder and view finder or used with gg focusing and composing.<br>

How wide or long a lens do you want to only use a limited range of lenses? <br>

All of these will help you decide what will work best for you.</p>

Though much easier when using a camera that has both front and back movements, a rigid back camera can still be used for things you would need back movements for, though to a (considerably) lesser degree. You use indirect movement instead, i.e. set the camera up aligning the back to the subject in the way required and use the front movement to set the camera in the desired configuration for focus and geometry. So what you do is when you would 'normally' move the back you instead move the entire camera until the back is in the desired position, adjusting the front to compensate and keep it in the position it needs to be in.<br>It is limited, because you do not have the available range having both a moveable front and back offers. And it doesn't work as fast. But it works.<br>Converging lines in a building, for instance, are avoided by first setting up the camera so that the back is vertical, then using the front rise to get the building in frame (same as you would do using a camera having both front and back movements, by the way). No need for back movements.<br>Swing is less easy, though the beginning is easy enough: you set up the camera with the back at the desired 'swung' angle to the subject. You then need both front shift and swing to get the subject in the frame and in focus as desired, and what is required in front movement may often be too much for the camera. But not always.

<p>Technical, field or press (drop bed type, "rigid back" as Q.G. says) cameras are much easier and faster to set up. It makes a huge difference. At the end, in my experience, they are far more usable and gratifying than monorails for field use. I find them also better to be carried.<br /> Horseman FA, Wista 45, Toyo AX, Linhof Technika, MPP, are other interesting 5x4" models. Never used a Graflex, but it looks to fit in my list.<br /> As mentioned, if you want to use really long lenses and/or big shutters, or if you like to use extreme movements (which again in my experience, I wonder how many of us will ever need them), a monorail is preferred.</p>

• 2 weeks later...