NX2 and D7200

jukka_tiippana

<p>I have a problem.<br>

I have used NX2 many years and now it doesn't open D7200 NEF files.<br>

I don't like the more recent Nikon programs and they don't have NIK's U-point local adjustments.</p>

<p>What should I do?<br>

1. Learn to use PS or LR?<br>

2. Use Nikon's recent programs and to do the local adjustment for tiff files in NX2?<br>

3. Buy PS or LR and NIK's Viveza?<br>

4. Find the data from internet that allows to open D7200 files in NX2? Do anyone know any?<br>

4. Something else?</p>

<p>Please help :0</p>

<p>Try this one<br>

http://www.bagnon.com/raw2nef/<br>

It's for free, but donations are appreciated, and IMO well deserved</p>

<p>Converts o.a. files of the Nikon D750, Nikon 7200 and Nikon D810 for use in NX 2.4.6 (very important. not in NX 2.4.7!!)<br />Easy to install, works like a charm in my experience for the D750 and D810, don't have a D7200 but see no reason to expect any issues there</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I do not think you have other ways, than to use PS or LR and buy NIK Color Efex pro 4. Unless NIK makes a EFEX4 for Capture NX-D. They only do if a lot of people asks for it, I did and it is not in their future planning.<br />I do not have to use NX-D, have D800E, but I do not think I will ever use it, the sidecar files sucks.</p>

<p>The writing was on the wall for CaptureNX2 for quite a while; while I much liked the program, I've moved away from it to something that is more futureproof. The raw2nef conversion is a nice stop-gap solution, but long term you're probably better off biting the bullet and move to a different program, and invest time in learning that well.</p>

<p>There are more choices that Lightroom/Photoshop, though. I've gone with CaptureOne, which in the current version has layers and a selective colour operation that is quite similar (for my uses anyway) to the U-Point. The User Interface is quite different, but the same goes for Lightroom.<br>

The "default" advice is always Adobe's product, and for pretty good reason, as they generally are very good and widely supported (as they have a LOT of users). But the alternatives are certainly worth checking out - not only mentioned CaptureOne, but also DxO Optics, Photo Ninja could be of interest. It's mostly a matter of finding the tool that gets you the results you like the easiest and quickest.</p>

<p>I bought a license to Google Nik Collection which is less integrated with PS/LR than Control Points were in NX2 and slower to use (because the file is first saved and transferred to Nik, then edited and saved and transferred back to PS, but if you have a fast computer and put everything on SSD, I find the solution to be usable. I use it for some things such as black and white conversion and occasionally making control points adjustments to my studio background etc. It takes a bit of time to get familiar with the plugins but I am reasonably satisfied even though it feels like moving many years back in efficiency of making such adjustments. However, Photoshop CC itself is very high quality software and while it has a learning curve, as photographers we usually don't need to use more than a small subset of its capabilities. I think in the long run it is a good solution even though I prefer Nikon's raw conversions especially at high ISO, but at the moment, at least while NX-D is in its infancy, I use ACR for most raw conversions. I still use ViewNX2 (the version before the last one, since the last one crashes on my computer) for browsing through images since it is fast and resamples the images correctly whereas Bridge, for example, shows moire and other problems that are the result of flawed resampling (apparently no lowpass filter is applied before picking the pixels to be viewed, or if there is filtration then there is some problem with its implementation). LR I find to be too slow to use with 36MP files even if everything is on SSD, and while I use it for batch printing etc. I don't use it as my main image editing platform. For smaller files (24MP etc.) I find it ok. My main issues with LR apart from slow switching from one image to the next is that it doesn't have easy access to Photoshop's sharpening operations and I don't like the way local adjustments are implemented. Hopefully the next version (LR 6) is faster. So basically my main workflow is now ViewNX2 for browsing and ACR+ PS CC for editing images, then LR for batch printing when I need to print multiple images on a larger piece of paper (I often don't have just the right size of paper at hand). For some projects I've tried to use LR for everything but I've always ended up disappointed with it. Your mileage may vary. Photoshop CC, in my opinion, is well worth investing time into and learning; it is excellent software.</p>