Voigtlander 180mm SL macro for nikon mount?

ChrisSpeaker

<p>Does anyone have a Voigtlander 180mm SL macro for nikon mount? I have a question about it's aperture following lever.<br>

I currently have one of these lenses however I'm concerned than mine may have a problem. I noticed a slight noise about the rear of the lens as you rotate it around, say to get it into a camera bag. Works fine mounting it.<br>

Investigating the noise, I gently moved the aperture following arm on the lens and found that it is slack for about 25% of it's travel not moving the aperture blades at all for those 25%. Moving the arm more the blades begin to close and continue to do so until end of travel of the arm.<br>

Having said all that the lens works perfectly on the camera. Exposures are right on target and click stops work - wide open is wide open and lens smoothly closes aperture as you move the ring closed to f22 while holding the DOF preview button on my D800.<br>

Can anyone confirm if this is normal?</p>

<p>Don't have that lens, but many lenses contain a ball-race in the aperture mechanism. If the noise sounds like a few little steel balls rolling around in a brass ball-race, then that's exactly what it's likely to be!</p>

<p>Also, there's sometimes a bit of slack in the travel of aperture levers. Usually the amount of slack varies with the aperture set.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Moving the arm more the blades begin to close..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This sounds the wrong way round for any Nikon fit lens. You usually have to hold the lever in the up position against spring pressure to open the blades fully, and it springs to close the blades to the chosen aperture position when released.</p>

<p>Thanks Rodeo Joe for your response.<br>

Yes it sounds exactly like that! I was having nightmares about loose screws rolling around in the innards of my lens. Thanks for that.<br>

And yes I meant that the blades begin to open against spring pressure. Glad to hear it's relatively normal for some lens to have some slack.<br>

I guess everything is just fine then. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Chris, it might be wise to double check that aperture operation by using the preview button/lever on your camera. You should see some darkening of the viewfinder as soon as the lens aperture ring is moved away from the maximum (open) aperture position. Or you can look into the lens and verify that the iris blades are closing. If that's the case, then I'd say you have nothing to worry about; especially if exposures are consistent and accurate with the lens.</p>

<p>Try it a few times to make sure the blades stop down to the same sized "hole" every time. I once had a lens with sloppy coupling, and the iris stopped down a little further each time I operated the preview lever, but obviously it also gave inconsistent exposures.</p>