5D Classic Picture Styles

matthew_burrows

<p>Good Day, and sorry for what some of you might think is a stupid question, but it's bugging me. I have just purchased my first full frame camera, a ten year old 5D! It's lovely, it was cheap, and produces wonderful images... But the picture style menu has me stumped!<br>

<br />Each style, faithful, neutral, etc... all seem almost exactly the same on the menu? They all have different 'sharpening' on the scale from 1 to 7, but the other selectable elements, like tone, saturation etc, are all set at '0' BUT, the pictures DO come out totally differently. I don't understand?</p>

<p>Oh, and is it possible to still use the Canon picture style data base on the canon website for such an old DSLR.</p>

<p>Thanks for all your help, Matthew.</p>

<p>Are you viewing on the LCD on the back of the camera? Not likely to see any real difference there.</p>

<p>In any case, you will get more out of the camera if you don't worry about these settings that pre-process the jpgs and if you work with RAW files instead. Otherwise you are just throwing away data that can be used, if not now, then later.</p>

<p>I personally set the camera for neutral jpgs and ignore it for the most part. I often do shoot with jpgs as well as the RAW files, but usually in the smallest size which still require some down-sizing for sites like Photo.net. The real images are in RAW form.</p>

<p>5D is a swell camera, still enough pixels do do almost anything you want.<br>

Its "flaw" is that its sensor is a little bit of a dust magnet, so be cautious about changing lenses in nasty environments. Use a bulb blower (never compressed air) to blow it off regularly and you can avoid more difficult cleaning except at extended intervals.</p>

<p>O is relative, relative to the mode. It's not an absolute. Sharpness is pretty independent of mode, but this was one of the earliest iterations of 'jpeg picture styles', so a pretty primitive in-camera feature. So 'landscape' might have a specific 'tone' and 'saturation' setting precoocked (which emphasises blue/greens), but which you could adjust to adjust the precooked output. The setting is added to what is already sooked in in that mode, not simply added to a '0'.</p>

<p>As JDM, when shooting jpegs I just always used neutral, though for me, 99.9% of the the couple 100 thousand 5D images I took were RAWs. I figured I could always add as needed later (color wise), when I could view the image in a decent size (my monitor). That, and many of the 5D's suffered from a catastrophically poor LCD with an evil greenish cast. Long story short was that I wouldn't trust it other than to tell me that I got close, focus wise, and close, exposure wise. Tone, saturation, etc. were lost causes on the LCD.</p>

<p>I had a 5D for 4 years and always used faithful (which is very similar to neutral which the gentlemen above used). Later, I would change the picture style in DPP. I certainly agree that the LCD on the 5D is poor. Like Marcus, I could use it to judge exposure but not much else. I do miss the colorful crisp files that the 5D produced.</p>