For second body: 6D vs 1DS Mk III vs 5D Mk II

john_blodgett2

<p>I'm a still-image photojournalist considering a second FF body to complement my 6D. Using KEH as a pricing reference point, three bodies fall into the range I can handle: another 6D, a 1DS Mk III and a 5D Mk II.<br>

<br />I'm leaning toward the 1 DS Mk III because of its ruggedness. How might IQ compare to my 6D and the 5D Mk II?</p>

<p>If you're not having problems with AF or IQ with your 6D, then why not get another, older model? Of the bodies listed, particularly at higher ISOs, it has the best IQ. Either of the other two will be a step backwards in IQ. With the 1DS MkIII, you might experience a slight gain in AF, but I'm not really sure about that. None of those three have the latest and greatest Canon AF systems, but that doesn't even seem to be a criteria for you. </p>

<p>I'm happy enough with the 6D, except for its lack of that rugged feel that appeals to me about the 1D, and if/when I start shooting wider apertures outdoors its top speed of 1/4000 is potentially limiting. I need to decide whether these features in the 1D are worth a tradeoff in IQ. I'd prefer better AF performance, but I'm able to live with what the 6D offers (for now at least). If I were a sports shooter, I'd probably seek out something better, but I'm not so no pressing need. <br>

<br />Is the IQ tradeoff you mentioned mostly related to higher ISO sensitivity? </p>

<p>The IQ tradeoff, when showing on internet or small print sizes, is almost all at higher ISO. Of course, as you make larger and larger prints, pixel-density will factor into resolution, where the 6D will trump again. Looking at 100% on your screen, you'll see it in side-by-side, but in end product, it only becomes an issue as you get into large prints sizes. I've printed 5D MkII images at 50" on the long side, with great detail, so all three of these a pretty close in resolution and that's not likely to be an issue.</p>

<p>For sports or wildlife, the 7D MkII is the way to go.</p>

<p>Currently I'm shooting with a 5D-I and occasionally a 10D. I prefer the feel of these bodies, they are a bit larger than the current X0D and 6D. Money and weight issues aside I'd prefer a somewhat larger body. Of course YMMV. If you're happy with a 6D why not get a second one. In that case at least all accesories are interchangeable.</p>

<p>I too love the ruggedness and pro build of the 1Ds and 1D series but they are also extremely heavy! I had the original 1Ds before switching to the 5D II and the difference is night and day. Personally, I'd chose the 5D II over the 6D for its slightly superior performance at low ISO, but it would really depend on which body you can get the cheapest. If the 6D is cheaper it certainly makes going back and forth between the two bodies easier.</p>

<p>I have not checked all the specs of these bodies but the other concern for me is buffer size, but I imagine they are all probably pretty close. For landscapes where I stitch a lot, I like to shoot as quickly as possible.</p>

I added a Canon grip to my 6D

because I have big hands. It makes it

feel perfect to me. I don't like a neck

strap so the grip strap adds to its value

for me as does the additional battery

slot; it feels more industrial (sort of) like

the Nikon tanks I used overseas years

ago. If you're happy with most other

aspects of the 6D, you might try that.

Additionally, swap in a bigger card.

That with two batteries will give you

much longer shoot time.

<p>The 6D has <em>lower</em> pixel density than either the 5D2 or the 1Ds3 (which have the same sensor) - though only marginally so. At Ultra High ISO the 6D will produce a cleaner image, but this is the only respect in which it clearly trumps the 5D2/1Ds3 - unless you are trying to AF in a room without any lights on - where the 6D's center point has superior sensitivity. For trying to AF on moving things, the 1Ds3 trumps either the 5D2 or the 1Ds3. </p>

<p>The 1Ds3 also has dual slots, a more capable shutter (actually both the 5D2 and 1Ds3 do), and of course vastly superior build...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Marcus Ian, is it really the case that the 1Ds3 and 5D2 have the same sensor? They are of the same resolution but I thought that the 5D2 was better in low light (while the 1Ds3 may suffer less from 'banding' or some other artefact identified on pixel-peeping online forums).</p>

<p>Jos van Ekelen: I have no accessory compatibility to contend with, just interchangeable lenses and flash.<br /> Victor Kunkel: I've thought about getting the grip to provide better balance while using my 70-200 4L, but the 1Ds Mk III offers other build aspects that appeal to me. <br /> Marcus Ian: Thanks for the input on the AF. If I were to get the 1Ds Mk III, it would most often be my tele zoom body, and that's the lens where I could see myself needing AF that can follow movement (even though I'm not a sports shooter anymore). <br /> Ed Avis: I'm looking for a second body, not a backup, so I can shoot two lenses on assignment without having to stop and exchange one for another. Also, a more rugged body might instill more confidence in certain situations. Learning a different menu system is a tradeoff I'd be willing to accept if the other benefits would serve my needs. </p>