Macro photograhpy in Thailand rainforest

ronald_loriaux

I am going to Thailand and want to photograph small insects and

amphibians in the rainforest. Given the minimal light conditions in a

rainforest what will be the best technigue to photograph these small

animals?. I have a EOS 5 body, a Tamron 90/2,8 macro lens, an ef 70-

200/2.8 telelens and a 550 EX speedlite flash.

Do I have to concentrate on the Tamron lens or do I have to prepare

the 70-200/2.8 for close up work (what equipment should I choose)?.

How about the flash, is one enough ? If two are recoomended which

other flas should I choose ?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Ronald Loriaux

90MM IS ENOUGH FOR MACRO WORK, I don't think you will need 70-200 at all (if you are not interested in wild life or go on boat trip). The white color on your lense will bring a lot of attention fro Thias when you are working around in the city, try to blend in as much as you can it is not a very save place walking around with expensive gear. I also suggest you bring a 24mm, those can focus close on ground as wide macro. You will feel ligther and have more fun with 24mm and 90macro. Oh! bring light weight tripod, I bet you will be of your foot most of the time.

You may want to look into whether there is a 'better beamer' avail for your speedlight. Though primarily intended for long range use, I also leave it on the flash for roaming in the rainforest photographing small animals. It's very efficient on battery use and will effectively light up most any subject in any lighting. Plus it weighs about 1/2 ounce = nothing. Have fun!

I have done numerous macro photography in the rainforests of Southern India. I prefer a 100mm macro with a a small 200E flash on an off-shoe cord and maybe a macro flash bracket. I would throw in a 250D as well for the 100 mm macro. This worked well for me as it is a light set-up and gives you good flexibility, esp there are some unbelievable insects for whom 1:1 is not enough. You will also find that the critters are damn active and quick to the extent that you may have to catch them and try to photograph them in your camp. For macro with flash I prefer using Velvia or Kodak 100VS films. And just a general obeservation if you see any caterpillar, however ugly it may be, take a picture... the flash brings out some neat colors. Also try to take pictures of flowers with flash behind the flower so that you get a back-lit picture. You will be amazed at what you see. Let me know if you need more information. Have a great trip....

Ron,

If I may suggest a couple of things (although all the other contributions are great):

1) A set of extension tubes doesn't add much weight (or much cost), but it might prove to be the next best thing you carried with you (especially to use with the 70-200mm lens). Aside form the usefulness of this set, it also counts as a backup (in case something happens to your 90mm macro lens, either damaged or stolen).

2) As for flash, I strongly agree, and recommend a Canon MacroLite ring SpeedLite, such as #3 (designated as MacroLite-III, I believe). Not only it is good for macro purposes, but for other flash photography up to 10 feet. They are not too expensive, relatively speaking, if we consider all other expences involved in such a trip, and that you do not want to ruin it because of the additional cost of a proper flash unit.

I personally use extension tubes, macro lenses, and the Canon macrolite ring speedlite extensively (aside from winter months, where I hibernate, due to Michigan's brutal weather; I miss Arizona very much during winter).

3) A light tripod is good, but not a fixed, or too light one. I would not cripple myself with a fixed tripod. Something that allows you at least to rotate the camera 90 degrees for vertical shooting would be very good.

4) If you have a remote control for the camera, then you might find it a great addition, if you don't, then it's not a must have.

I have been involved in photography almost to my ears for well over 20 years (as a hobby only, never made a dime on it), and my most favorite area has become macro photography, especially flowers, although I do other forms of photography. I only use 35mm (mostly Canon equipment), and digital format.

I hope this helps.

Good luck, and safe trip; tell us about it when you get back.

Sam Hussein

Michigan,

USA

Thanks for the answers. I still have some questions. What would be the quality of the photo's when adding a 500D diopter to the ef 70-200/2.8 lens ? What kind of flash set-up should I use for both the 70-200/2.8 and the 90/2.8 macro?. Only the ex 550 speedlite flash or should I use two flashes instead (which one to add and how to connect) ? Should I use a bracket (which one to choose for an eos 5)or is handholding better ?

Thanks,

Ronald

Ronald,

1) 500D + 70-200/2.8 will not degrade your images. In order to be more effective I would suggest an extension tube to this set-up.

2) You can use 550Ex for both the lenses. However, I feel 550EX will be an overkill with 90mm macro. When I use 220E with a 100mm, I find the details on the insects at the loss of background. I have seen my friend use SB-28 with his 100 macro, with some loss of details on the insect but with more light in the background. If you choose to use 550EX, please use a very good diffuser.If you choose to use 220E, then a flash bracket is convenient, but you will have to watch where the flash points and change it every time you change magnification or add accessories like 250D.

3) It is my opinion. I have a 70-200/f4. While it is good for flowers, mammals and maybe larger amphibians but really is not usable for insects esp when they are moving.

4) I have not used 2 flash set-ups. My friend uses it and I don't see an extra-ordinary result to justify the burden.

In a rainforest, on the jungle floor, it is quite crowded. So a two flash set-up will only reveal a crowded background. Try to create a set-up that you are comfortable with. Hope this answers.

I have been in Thailand in February last year (mostly Khao Yai N.P.). First of all I was suprised how "dry" the jungle was - so it may depend on when and where you are going. Good thing was that I did not have to worry about keeping the equipment dry which can be a hassle in really wet conditions. Anyway, I would second the recommendation for the extension tubes. Although their use with a zoom may need some practice they will allow you to keep a farther distance from your subject. The diopter keeps the subject distance almost constant but I found it too close. Most of the insects are kind of big anyway. I used a 80-400 Zoom (Nikon though) and I applied one flashlight on a holder at a right angle of camera (about 15 cm to right and then about 30 cm up). The flash (Nikon SB-26) has a guide number of ca. 45, but the slowness of the lens in addition to the extension tubes made a flash necessary (and Velvia!). In my case there would have been no time to set up a tripod anyway. I concentrated on butterflies and they stop only for a small time. I try to enclose one example.

I would bring the Macro in addition for plants and of course a tripod. You will need it for any picture within the jungle beyond the reach of your flash (and for all without a flash). I have had good experiences with the Gitzo carbon 1227. If you travel to Khao Yai I could give you more infos - mail me in case you are interested.

Travel safely and have a lot of fun