How many types of film do you use regularly?

Hi

How many types of films do you use regularly? And I don't mean "have

tested once" but actually use as your prefered film for different

use. For example my set is 3 bodies. M6 with TriX 400 for outdoor,

everyday use. M3 with TMAX 3600 for indoor, available light shots

(normally with Summicron 50) and Nikon FM2n with Kodachrome 200 for

family snapshots (and then we have slideshows for the kids, they love

to see themself on the big screen). Sometimes I load the old IIIF

with TriX 400 as well and use it as a second body together with the

M6 typically with an Elmar 50 on the IIIf and 24asph or 35/2.0 asph

on the M6 and a Elmarit 90 in the pocket.

This has worked well for me for a long time, but I would be curious

to hear other experiences!

Best regards

Tomas, I use Kodak T-Max 400 CN on a regular basis for wedding work

because it can be done at the lab using C41 processing and standard color

proofing machines with B&W paper. Because of the very tight and

smooth grain, these images mix well with B&W conversions from digital

cameras when putting together an album.

For color I was using Portra NC in various speeds, but am switching back

to Fuji, because it scans better on my specific scanner.

For "real" photography nothing equals Tri-X IMO.

Hi Thomas, I just switched back to Tri-X from T400CN because I missed the grain! For color, I'm chiefly concerned with skin tones so Fuji Reala 100 and NPH 400 are my choices. Fuji NPZ is good, too, especially considering it's an 800 speed film, but it tends to make caucasian skin appear a bit ruddy at times. The Fuji films seem to handle mixed light well, too.

I've been all over the place with this question, but have finally alighted on the following: Ilford HP5+ for medium format handheld; Agfapan apx100 for medium format on a tripod; Tri-X and Plus-X in the Leica's; and Kodachrome 64 for documentation of family life (as you do). I'm struggling with the last choice, however. I love the color pallettes of Provia 100F and Velvia, but since I shoot color mainly for family snaps and vacations, I have picked Kodachrome for its more certain archival permanence. I love its sharpness and its colors under good light, but I will say that the colors do tend to be quite drab in overcast lighting and at high altitudes. It has helped to shoot K64 at EI80 and to use a skylight filter instead of a UVa filter. I also plan to resort to an 81b more often, but have found that I don't like to bother much with filters for family snaps.

I shoot only black and white in my M6. After nearly 30 years of shooting Tri-X, I happened upon Ilford HP-5 quite by accident recently and have been using it ever since. Maybe it was fate, but the first roll I shot and processed just clicked with me and I've been sticking with it. I shoot color in my other cameras--Fuji Sensia 100 & 400, Fuji Velvia and Kodak E100VS/Elitechrome Extra Color 100--but I got the Leica specifically for black and white photography.

I used Delta400 exclusively for a long time. Very nice. Recently I

have felt the need for finer grain, did some testing and wound up

buying a brick of Delta100. Very nice film. I also keep a half brick

of Sensia100 around for colorful family stuff, where we want

"shine pictures on the wall" as my kids say.

But... The Delta400 and Delta100 thing has turned into a pain in

the neck. Seems I always have the wrong film in the camera. So

I am rewinding and marking the frame and reloading and

resetting my meters and all that jazz. Tell you the truth, it's not

worth it. I'm going back to Delta 400 only. It's a great film from

daylight to nightlife and fine enough grain to make respectible

16x20 prints. Shoots handheld easily and pushes to 800 with

ease.

I've been using Tri-X for the past couple of years but I've been through HP5 periods, sometimes lasting a few years, and may do so again if I decide I don't like the new Tri-X as well as the old. For color negative film I check the Sunday paper and see who has the best price on the 4-packs of either Fuji 200 or Kodak 200. I don't mix the two films on a job, but I've never had any complaints about the color. Jobs consist mostly of political fund raisers, chamber of commerce functions, etc., where "wedding film" isn't needed. Haven't shot much transparency film in the past few years.

Slides: Scala @200 and Provia 100, just trying "dr5" for other BW chromes, as alternatives to Scala.

BW neg.: currently mainly T400CN, because C41 seems to be more consistent than BW development by commercial labs (but I now consider to develop BW myself again due to frustration with those labs). I hardly ever use colour neg. film, and if, I pick whatever is recommended at that moment by friends with more experience with this material.

i go back and forth between tri-x and hp5+ as my "standard" 400 speed films. right now it's hp5+ in xtol 1:3 for 17 minutes, 70 degrees. for 100 speed, i prefer fp4 over plus-x. i also like acros 100 a lot. interestingly, the acros can be processed along with the hp5+, so THAT makes it very nice.