D7200 AF Focus Points

Not Here

<p>I personally own a D300 and D700, but my friend just bought a D7200 and asked for my help setting up some desired defaults. One of which is her desire to default to single point focus in all modes except continuous. I've only had one crack at it but cannot get it to maintain single point focus. I can set it to S and S with the selector but when I change the mode, it returns to multi-point. </p>

<p>I'm sure there's a menu setting that I'm overlooking but can't find what it is in the manual. I'll be back with her in a couple days and hope someone can help with a solution.</p>

<p>Thanks... Mike </p>

Shun:

Thanks, that's the adjustment I was making while in several different modes. But when I would change modes the default

returns to multi-point in all modes, even the mode I was in when setting it to single point. As noted, I won't have the

camera back in my hands until Tuesday and can try suggestions then. I went ahead and posted my question just hoping

someone has had the same issue.

Given the camera's desire to default to multi-point, I'd convinced myself it was likely a selection deeper in the menu

choices... Mike

<p>I finally gave in to the call of a smaller DX camera and recently bought a D7200. As Shun says, the interface is slightly different from what I was used to on the D700 and D800, but Nikon supply a manual in the box, with a comprehensive index at the back.</p>

<p>Pages 89-90 of the manual describe how to set a single focus point. The position of the focus point can be changed using the joystick selector, or instantly centred by pressing the "OK" button. Its position can then be locked by turning the surrounding lever to "L". However, this doesn't work for the fully Auto mode or for any of the scene modes, where you basically give up the right to control any aspect of the camera's operation.<br>

The standard PASM modes all keep the selected focus point(s).</p>

<p>I use D7100, which may be similar:<br>

For most settings, when you change settings while in a particular mode (PASM), they will stick with that mode, not with the others. So, if you want to have settings that hold across multiple modes, you have to change them in each mode. Some exceptions exist, e.g. file type.<br>

Hope this helps,<br>

Chris</p>

Thanks guys:

I have the camera in hand now and have found what you say to be factual. I'm instructing her that if she uses the preset

scenes, then she'll have to reset the center point focus when returning to PASM.

Ok, that resolved... Tell me how to make the dang thing "beep" at focus. Yes, it's turned on in the menu but doesn't make

a sound. I even tried different lens to see if there might be a communication issue, but to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks again... Mike

• 1 month later...