7D Mark II MFA Requires Fresh Battery?

anthony_r.1

<p>I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this strange problem. I was doing micro focus adjustment on my 7D Mark II and 70-200 f/4L lens. As the procedure progressed, the adjustment kept getting worse and worse, until I was dialing in +20 and it <em>still</em> wasn't happy. I know this is one of my sharpest lenses and I thought something must be wrong. I cleaned the contacts, checked to make sure IS was off, but nothing helped. I started going through the menus to see if there was anything strange there. I noticed the battery power was down to about 30%. Since I was grasping at straws at this point, I went ahead and put in a freshly charged battery. Bingo! The lens only required a modest adjustment after that. Weird!</p>

<p>MFA should NOT require a full battery. As long as there is enough juice for the camera to function properly, there should be no effect on MFA. </p>

<p>MFA is also supposed to be non-volatile (so you don't have to redo it everytime you put in a new battery). However, you were clearly experiencing a problem that was apparently resolved by switching batteries. I've got to admit, my best guess would be that there was some sort of firmware glitch, and it was resolved when you 'turn(ed) it off and back on again' the hard way (by replacing the battery). I would also guess that if you had simply removed and reseated the main battery (even @ 30%), it would have resolved the problem as well.</p>